1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which truck should i use

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by flklandscape, Aug 19, 2010.

1. flklandscape

flklandscape Junior Member
    from 45503

I was wondering which truck i should use to plow with. I have a 95 1500 Silverado 4x4 and a 2009 3500 DRW 2wd dump truck. I have a few half acre lots that I take care of. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

you can slip and slide and get stuck with the 3500 OR you can wear out the 1500. Id use the 1500 and with the money you make buy a 2500 4WD next year
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

While the 1500 is a little light for commercial work, it would be the better choice for maneuverability reasons. There are a lot of guys using half tons successfully. Check the front axle capacity, look to see if it has the "VYU" (that is Chevy's plow prep code) package and consider adding a Timbren type suspension assist and higher load rated tires. There should be a sticker in the glove box with the line code information.

As for the suggestion you move up to a 3/4 ton truck, that is good advice. You need to remember that plows suited for half tons rarely segue on to three quarter ton trucks. So you will not be able to buy the optimum plow for a three quarter ton truck for use with your existing half ton.

Welcome to Plowsite:waving:
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

if you are good with the plow controls, throw weight in the back of the 3500 and use that because that truck will handle plowing with ease compared to the 1/2 ton pick up.
  5. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

With you only having a few .5 acre lots, i would say use the 1500, however if you get any more than a few or get larger properties, it would be the 3500 for sure.I think the manuverbility is the factor, the 1500 will be easier to get in and around. Just my opinion....