1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Truck is better???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevyGuy, Aug 20, 2001.

1. ChevyGuy

ChevyGuy Junior Member

I'm thinking of buying a 93 1500 with a 350. But my friend thinks I should buy a truck with a 305 like his (his is a 92 model), he says the 305 has plenty of power and gets better gas mileage. But I think his just jealous because the 350 is more power I think. So could somebody tell me what the horsepower, torque, and gas mileage on these motors are.

(both motors being efi and abot a 93-94 model)

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Buy the 350,if its a clean truck,the 305 is a good engine,but a bit underpowered at only 175hp,the 350 has 200 or 210 depending on the year.the 93 has 210hp.#05's are hard to sell,no one wants to buy them used,so you can find them cheaper,but its hard to resell down the road.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

get the 350. no substitute for cubic inches.
    Hard to say what fuel mileage will be. Gear ratios and driving style willaccount more for fuel mileage then size of engine.
    Suffice to say that you cant use the power of the 305 if it doesnt have it, but you dont have to use all of the 350's power.
  4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

You want the 350. I've had both, and have actually gotten BETTER mileage with the 350 than the 305, simply because I don't have to work it as hard to do the same things. Resale is also an issue. I think you'll be happy with the bigger motor.

5. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

My dad has a 98 1500 4X4 with the 305 and he gets about 14 mpg and on a trip to PA. I got 18-20 with it but I would still go with the 350 the milage won't be that much different and you will be much happier with it... my 89 2500 got between 11 and 13 mpg usuall right around 12 and that was a much bigger truck with the 350 engine.. the milage on the 2500 is not that far off either so if you are going to plow with the truck I'd look for a 2500.