1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Truck Input Please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by m297, Jul 23, 2008.

1. m297

m297 Member

Here's the deal,

Narrowed it down to 2 vehicles.

F450 Ford 4x2 gas v10
    3500HD GMC v8 gas

Both are Chassis cab's, I'll be putting a V-box hopper on it.

The GMC is about $3000 Cheaper on our quotes. I can only compare these 2 trucks because I have to have the low profile truck for my application.

The issue is that I'm hearing that the Ford's have trans issues. Don't feel like being in the dealership everyother week.

Any input would be great.
  2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

How big of hopper spreader are you going to put on it? The 450 is a 16,000GVW truck and the 350 is only a 13,000 GVW truck. We have had this discussions with customers before about putting too big of a spreader on too small of truck. Consider that rock salt weighs approximately 3,000lbs per cubic yard. We see guys put a 1.8 cubic yard spreader in a 3/4 ton and then put side boards on the spreader to build up the capacity. Then they wonder why their rear end of their truck is all torn up. This should all be taken into consideration when purchasing a truck and equipment.
  3. m297

m297 Member

I'm fully aware of the weight issue and that is in mind. Its only gonna have a 1.8 cubic yard hopper on it because of the low profile application so I wont be putting 12" sides on it. I'm concerned about the trucks? Ford or Chevy?
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

dont forget fords big head problem on triton motors v8 and v10. spark plugs poping out or sizing in the head and big r+r to fix it. and yes there is kits to save time but thay are still a pain in the ars. i would go oil burner as much as i dont like the 6.0 stuff or 6.4 for that matter.

gm thay need to make a bigger better solid axle option hd again . ifs is great for ride but not weight.
  5. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

first off what year are these trucks? ford hasnt had a problem with the heads since 2000.
    i really havent heard of any tranny problems with ford since 97, unless you abuse them,,, only problem i see is the 450 is on 2 wheel drive...

what year are the trucks?
    auto or stick?
    is chebby 4x4?
  6. m297

m297 Member

Here both new trucks 2008's, auto, chevy is 4x4 and the ford is a 4x2.

The chevy is a 12,400 GVW rating and the ford is 16,000 GVW. Dont mean to drag this thru the mud, I've always have chevy's and I just wanted some input on this. Nice to see other folks view on it.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wouldn't say I necessarily agree with that comment LP...I've installed many thread repair kits in the '01 '02 and 03 Triton's as well. Put 2 in an '03 just yesterday. :realmad:
  8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

In like my V10 :D
  9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

really, i didnt think they were still that problematic still in the other years... looks like you enjoyed doing it :drinkup: ...

id go with the chevy due to the fact its 4x4, i really wouldnt want a 2 wheel drive 450 or any size truck for that matter for snow removal. although the new triton V10's run really nice..
  10. m297

m297 Member

All of our kodiak's are 2 wheel drive and this vehicle that i'm replacing was a 3500HD 15000GVW and we've never had issues plowing with 2WD.

I think chevy gets the award. Thanks folks