1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which truck for salter?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by drivewaydoctor, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Yes I know buying a Chevy 3500 HD would be ideal but its not going to happen. A divorce has me tapped completely out...

I am picking up an 8' Air-Flo salter next week and need to quickly decide on which truck to use.

Note: These photos demonstrate the trucks with 3000 pounds of liquid in the box. Both have beefed up suspension. Both are extended cabs with 8 foot boxes. The white Ford is a 2wd do NO plow. The green Dodge is a 4x4 and has an 8' Western Steel plow on it.

DODGE RAM 1500
    [​IMG]

FORD F-250
    [​IMG]

Both trucks are GAS. Ram is a 5.2 and the Ford is a 5.8.... The Ram is higher than the Ford as you can see in the photo. Even with 3000 pounds in the box you can see the grass on the other side of the truck over top of the rear tire. The tires are 31s...

I'd like to pull the plates off the Ford and sell it if I can get away with the salter in the Dodge.

Comments?

2. 2low

2low Member

put the sander in the dodge saves a trip to switch trucks

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Well, if its just you plowing I would put it in the dodge. If you have someone else, then go with the ford. I wish I had a dedicated salt truck because I find that salting will need to be done on the other end of my route, but the truck that has the salter in it is too busy at a different location plowing. So having a no plow, salt truck would solve this.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If your route is tight, and the Ford doesn't owe you anything, I would put the spreader in the Ford. At least if you have a breakdown you can still do your salting, just find a lackey to plow for you. Your weight test is a start, but not super accurate. First of all, the CG is much further back on a spreader, especially as it unloads. They always unload from front. And an 8 foot spreader will hold much more than a ton of salt. Pull that tank back just as far as you dare without it tipping out of the truck. Fill it up, and see how things look. And how the truck handles.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I just looked your pics over a little more closely. The Dodge is a half ton. Definitely put the spreader in the Ford. That rear axle in the Dodge doesn't hold a candle to the full floater in the Ford. Just because the springs can carry it, doesn't mean the axle is up to the task. The 351 will probably do a little better with the weight too.

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Yeah, put the sander in the ford. Rear wheel drive won't be a concern with weight-I hardly use 4x4 when I am plowing, never when driving even witht the spreader mostly empty it makes a huge difference. Just build a nice platform for the spreader to sit on so you don't hit the chute on a curb - my truck sits quite a bit higher but I still had to bang my chute out a couple times the first year.

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id put it in the dodge it sucks having to defrost and scrape two windsheilds and all that crap.also that way if you have to touch up on some lots with the plow youll be all set plus 4 whell drive is always nice to have when the roads are bad. the dodge probably has a dana 60? which is probably what the ford has too.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

In a half ton?