1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which truck? Dodge or Ford?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by heavymechanic, Apr 10, 2014.

1. heavymechanic

heavymechanic Junior Member

I have run a Dodge Dakota into the ground. Believe it or not its a 91 Dakota that has been a work truck/plow truck that I got brand new in 91. Used it as a work truck for a year or so then put a plow on it and used it every single season since. In 2005 I smoked the auto trans plowing and have had to rebuild it a couple times since. Its time to put a bullet in it so I figured I would start shopping for a newer truck now. I'm leaning towards a F-250 or maybe I will buy another Dodge. Not really too sure whats the best route. I have 30K to drop into a used truck and new plow setup.

Ford and Dodge guys, what would you suggest?

Thank you

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You can buy a new ford with plow for just over 32

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I paid $36,500 with 0% financing for my F250 and 9.5 fisher v. $4k down, and 542 per month for 60 months. Always use other people's money if they will let you. 0% is crazy to turn down.
    My truck would have cost a lot less, but it has some options.

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

we just got a 2014 F550 lariat crew cab with a 176" wb for putting an aluminum 9'5' mason dump body onto from Ricart Ford in columbus, OH. Good experience.

4.2% commercial credit apr from ford with top tier finance approval, so not too bad. Now i need to wait likely 2+ months before body shop can install the body, sucks i did not see that one coming.

5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

What's the highway mpg on that 6.2?

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Today, 40°, empty, 3:73 gearing, 55 to 60 mph steady throttle- 18 mpg.
    Hilly, stop and go...15.
    With 1/2 cord of green firewood in the bed, 30 to 35 mph, hilly...12.
    Plowing, 800 lbs in the rear of the bed as per fisher engineering....9.6.
    Summer time long term average here in NH, 50/50 mix of highway and back roads with hills and frequent stops....14.3 to 14.5.
    Winter average, including plowing, 11.

Quite satisfied with it. Weighs 6700 lbs, plow is 1000 lbs, 1/2 cord of green firewood weighs 2200 lbs more or less.

Adding a sander to the roster this year, so the 250 is going to be traded on a 350 diesel this fall.

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Thanks! 18 highway empty is pretty good!