1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which TreadWright Tires??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Seabee15, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

Looking for some new tires for the plow truck. The truck is a 86 Chevy CUCV (M1008 or 5/4Ton) with a 7/6 western unimount.

Right I have some super bald 235/75 P.O.S tires on it.

I was looking at treadwright, 285/75R16's load range E and very interested in either the Gaurd Dog MT's or the Warden AT's.

Which would be better for the snow??

2. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

I have a set of 265 wardens all mounted up on my spare rims. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but they look like they will be awesome in the snow!

3. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

Are those Wardens pretty much identical to BFG AT's? were you able to get BFG casings?

4. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Yes, they are BFG casings. Look identical to the BFG ATs but MUCH cheaper. I also ordered them with the 'KEDGE' Grip. The re-tread work on them looks great! Unless you are looking really close, they look like new BFGs!! I was very happy with the quality and looks of the tires. Now I'll just need to see how well they perform. Hopefully I'll be putting them on the truck in a few weeks.

5. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

I have the Guard Dogs. So for I like them a lot, haven't had them in the snow yet though. They were about 1/3 of the price name brand equivalent too!

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I've got ~20K on the Warden AT's on my truck, pretty decent in the snow without the Kedge Grip and seem to be wearing well.

7. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

We have been using these for 5+ years. The Guard Gog w/Krip edge for winter use only and the Warden w/Krip edge for year around use. The Gard Dogs are a little too much road noise for my taste. But for 3/4 ton and up trucks with heavy duty plows no better tire than the Guard Dogs!

8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

How about some Pic's of them ???????

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

here's mine when they had ~10k on them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Why spend that much money on a re-tread, when for 20 to 30 dollars more you can get a brand new tire? Aren't re-treads known for seperating at the seams?

11. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Where can YOU buy BFG AT Ko's for $120-$130?
    I will take four sets if you can point me there.....287 75 16. For me it is about HALF the cost of new.

I have run the Warden's on BFG cases for years. With and without the walnut shells.
    I have sets #5 & #6 mounted now. Wardens in the winter, gaurd dogs in the summer.

12. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Not sure about tire pricing in your area-but comparable tires on-line start at $170! I would say all told I have 360,000 over 5 trucks over 5 yrs. never had a problem. But my wife does carry a large life ins. policy on me. Maybe she is smarter than I.

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

For my 31's total was ~375 for BFG's it was going to be about 725. I'll take the chance on something different for about half price. Also studies show retreads are just as safe as new rubber

14. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I am not trying to be a smart ass, I just know I bought 4 brand new Hercules AT 245-75-16 for 440.00, I just assumed that a BFG would be some what comparable. I had no idea they were as expensive as they are. As far as retreads, maybe I am just to old school in my information.

15. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Glad to ready that! I just bought those tires this spring and haven't used them in the snow yet.

16. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

17. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

got mine testerday WOWWWWW

:bluebouncGrab so good its scary.I think im gonna put my reg. tire back on the front cause it sticks the road soft and will take time to get used too......great tire,and the the tire shop guys jaws dropped when they seen how little it took to balence them!Getting another set for summer time ,and i got them with the walnut shels and glass in them awsume www.treadwright.com tryit youll like it

101_7258 (Custom).jpg

101_7255 (Custom) (2).jpg

101_7254 (Custom) (Custom).jpg

101_7256 (Custom).jpg

101_7257 (Custom).jpg

18. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

cause it sticks the road soft and will take time to get used too..

Rewrite the last part of your first sentence.....
    Cause I don't know what you are trying to say..

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  19. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Kedge grip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WITH KEDGE GRIP

Kedge Grip: Our own unique blend of crushed (recycled) glass and crushed walnut shell particle blended into our full grade truck rubber. Kedge Grip acts in a twofold way; first the walnut shell is designed to come out leaving small (approximately 1 mm) size pits in the tread surface that will act as additional siping and create more traction edges to grip the road. The second is the crushed glass which is designed to stay in longer and create a gritty surface to help anchor you to the road. Does it really work? Don’t take our word for it, read some of the testimonials. Also, check out the 4Wheeler magazine (though under a different name that we are not allowed to use any longer due to trademark issues) in the August 2009 issue. They consistently had excellent results with our Kedge Grip. I ment my old tires on the front ,because they are regular tires

thats what you i ger for quiting school and working my fingers too the bone....hated school

20. JD822

JD822 Member