1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which tread is better in snow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by chrisd6875, Dec 17, 2010.

1. chrisd6875

chrisd6875 Junior Member

Hey I am trying to choose between these two tread patterns. Any thoughts?

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Well the first one has a deeper tread that would work better in deeper snow, however since your using it on a snow blower (i'm quessing) you don't need to worry about the depth. So the first one is a unidirectional tread pattern which means it's designed to work in one dirrection. It will work better forward than it will in reverse. The second one has a omnydirectional tread which means it will work in reverse as well as forward. That is why you see more of the second style on snowblowers.
  3. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Ive found that there is no replacement for chains on a snowblower.
  4. chrisd6875

chrisd6875 Junior Member

Thanks, I was going to get chains but I dont want to make scratches in my sidewalk and driveway.
    Thanks for the input about the directional vs the uni-directional.
  5. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I've been running the top tread for 3 years with out chains, and it's unstoppable.

Reverse it's like a paddle scoop/ Foreward is like tracks on a bulldozer.

But anyway,
    not much snow is going to be blown in reverse. But they'll dig you out in reverse or foreward from any
    downhill incline.
    Made by carlisle X-Trac
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010