1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which tranny?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Been looking for a 2500 Suburban to play around with. I have decided I need a 6.5td or a 7.4 to pull my camper, the 5.7 won't do it. Found one dirt cheap with a blown 5.7 motor in it, and a good tranny. My question is, if I were to throw a 454 in it or even a 383 stroker to get the torque I need to pull 11k, would the tranny be up to it? I know the 4l80e came in the diesels, and maybe with the 454, but didn't the 5.7 have a weak tranny like a 4l60 or something? I know I can swap in any V8 Chevy motor, but if the tranny isn't strong enough it isn't worthwhile. Any ideas on what auto a 94 would have come with, and what the capability would be? I've already been told a 4l60 won't tow that much, and by 94 I think the 700s were phased out. No idea what the 700r4 could tow anyway.

This Sub is so cheap and is supposed to be nice enough that even swapping the tranny in would be worthwhile, but I am pretty poor right now. Maybe if I bought it and put it aside until a 6.5 or 7.4 parts truck driveline comes along.
    Any thoughts?

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You could get the 5.7 with the 4l60e (1/2ton) or 4l80e (3/4 and 1ton).

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

It may have the 4L80E tranny in it already. Would have to crawl under it to check and be sure. It should have 17 bolts ont he tranny pan. 16 bolts would be the 4L60E tranny.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Really!? Oh man now I'm psyched! Maybe it would be worth taking a look. Actually I know it's worth taking a look. It would be way lucky if it had a 4l80e in it. Actually, even with the 4l60 and a 5.7 I could probably get away with it for some short trips, but I was looking for something to tow with to go to Pennsylvania next year. Now my wife says she doesn't want to go, so may be off the hook there.

5. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

My 95 C3500 has a small block with the 4l80e. I always thought that all 8 lug 2500s and 3500s have a 4l80e, but I've been wrong before.