1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which to choose??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by farmer101, Oct 3, 2009.

1. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

Hi all! i am new to the site and have a question. responses arent urgently needed but would be greatly apriciatted. it probably wont be untill the end of next summer, but should i get a regular snow plow like a boss, or one of those reese hitch type plows?? i am not starting a buisiness but i have two gravel driveways at home, a half mile drive at my grandparents, and i will undoubtedly do a little work on drifted county roads since the county is very slow and ignores the rural areas. I have a 97 f150 4x4 extended cab short bed that has a turned up 4.6L v8. the trailer hitch type plows are lighter and cheaper, but are they even worth the trouble? or should i just pony up the extra cash for a regular plow?? thanks a lot for any input.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicI guess it all depends how much snow you get and the accumulation average per snow fall. Here we get lots of snow and a trailer hitch type plow has never been seen.

3. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

we typically get 3 to 4 inches a storm generally with a good melt between storms. however we get pretty bad drifts 2 to 3 feet in places. sometimes worse. buying the bigger plow is just a really big step and im not sure if its worth it.

4. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

find something used. u dont need a $6000 plow to plow ur driveway and grandmas. craigslist is ur best friend for stuff like this. and about helping the county out... dont. im sure you will be really happy when u break ur truck doing that. its a half ton, not a triaxle dump truck. also those guys get paid for a reason let them do their job.

5. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

well when its 3 days before we even see a plow i dont think someone is doing their job. other wise i would not even consider it. the thought of being trapped for that long scares me. and its not like i would go out and try to hamer 2 foot drifts for the county but light maintenance may keep it somewhat accessible. but you are right id rather not break my truck. so say im just going to do the maybe 2 miles total of drive way that i have what would be best? when im not a home i have school two and a half hours away. would one be better than the other to leave on the truck for this drive? or would they both be bad to leave on the truck. if they are i may get a real plow.

6. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

also, how much should i expect to pay for a plow? say like a 7 foot boss. new prices and used prices would both be appriciated. like i said it probably wont be intill next summer any way, but i have been looking for a couple of months and havent seen any used ones that would fit my truck. i pretty much know what to expect from a hitch mount plow but i havent seen any pricing on the heavier style plows. thanks again.

7. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

well in an emergency situation u arent going to be able to break through drifts with a rear plow. ive never seen one that angles and well 2 foot drifts... they are not remotely built fot that. also if u have 2 miles of drive id say the rear plow isnt an option. u cant angle them. your truck can handle a 7' 6" lighter duty plow and thats what i recomend. boss is called the sport duty though ive seen guys with half tons with regular duty plows. if ur buying used i wouldnt have ur sights set on a boss. any major plow company will be fine for ur needs. Meyer, western, fisher, boss, snoway, etc... a new boss or other major brand will run u probably 4-5k installed. used u can find a decent set up for 1000 maybe even get lucky and find one that came off a simalar year 150. if u dont find one thats off a 150 u can get a brand new truck side mount for probably 500 or again find stuff used on craigslist or even on here. so to sum it up i wouldnt even consider a rear plow for ur needs. a 7'6" regular duty or light duty plow made by any major brand is what u need. hope this helps farmer101

8. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

9. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

what are your thoughts on the snow bear?? i know they are a pretty light duty set up but i dont plan on plowing the whole world. besides i got a tractor and a non street leagal 250 death trap with a blade if i HAVE to use it. but what im wanting to do wont require that. and i need a plow so that i can get out of my house so i can get to the other places (grandmas etc.). i know the snow bear is manual adjust but i do that now anyway. how do they hold up? when its not winter i do a fair bit of off road driving and cant have a big bracket hanging on the front of my truck which is why i like the snow bear it seems out of the way.

10. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

i dont think a snow bear will hold up for what u need. they are more for people with a little suv who have a 10 by 20 foot driveway. is ur truck lifted by any chance? because that makes it quite difficult to mount a plow frame. another option u have is just to buy a beater plow truck for a couple grand. they are every where. u can probably find a 3/4 or 1 ton with a good size heavy plow for a few grand. and then u still have ur 150 to go wheelin in

11. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

it isnt lifted. its just a farm truck that sees its fair share of conditions that it probably shouldnt see (mud wholes, rutted pastures, etc). but some of the ditches i have to cross dont leave much wiggle room and a plow frame may get caught. but if i go for a beater ill just put brakes and lights back on the old 250. but i dont want to plate and insure a second truck.

12. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

alright i see what ur saying. well imo western mounts are the most out of the way. boss mounts hang pretty low

13. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

i have been on here all day reading posts. from what i can tell as long as i keep around 6 inches of snow and go easy a snow bear should be fine. i dont know that this is what i will get but i would like to do more research on the actual product. Are there any stores that sell them? i would feel better deciding either way if i could see the actual product up close.

14. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

i dont really want a bigger plow because then people will mant me to plow for them and i dont want that much wear and tear on my truck. i just want enough for maybe 6 uses a winter.

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hire it done. Less worry for you and NO wear and tear on your truck.

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Keep this rule firmly in mind - You get what you pay for. Only you can decide if something like a Snowbear will fill your needs. Whatever you get, do not try driving 2 1/2 hours on the highway with it mounted. It can be done, but you need to know what you're doing AND your truck needs to be in very good shape. But to drive to school with the plow mounted just because you don't want to take it off is pointless and damaging to the plow, yourself and especially the truck.

17. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

thanks for that. i was thinking more along the lines of if i ended up with a big bulky used plow that was hard to take of and put back on. but i have done a lot of reading since i posted that and realize how bad of an idea it would be. this does stear me even farther towards something such as the snow bear or something like a snow sport simply for the light weight and ease of putting it on and taking it off. when i am home though about the farthest i would drive would be 20 miles at the max. would this be ok? especially with the lighter plows? oh and the truck has new ball joints, tie rod ends, swaybar connecting rods, and shocks. it also has the 4x4 off road package which i believe includes a tranny cooler and possibly a heavier suspension? and it has been turned up maybe 30 horse from stock. I dont know if any of this will be a factor but that is how the truck sits right now.

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Blocking air flow is a big factor (along with weight and stress on the transmission). Why do you want to keep it on since most plows can be mounted or dismounted in less than a minute?

19. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

i have some experiance with older plows on old beater trucks that took a good 10 to 15 minutes to get situated in the snow and hooked up. i wanted to avoid that hassel if possible by just leaving the plow on my truck. of course that is if i got an old beater plow. i dont know if the air flow problem would hurt my truck. it runs on the very cold side durring the summer. but i suspect in the end it would.

20. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

i cant find it on the web sight. what should i expect to pay for a fisher homesteader? that looks like the best of both worlds and more like what i want. it appears light but still sturdy enough for the occasional drift bust.