1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which to buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PeteB, Jan 2, 2004.

1. PeteB

PeteB Junior Member

Hey, Great site! Which is better idea, used plow truck or used truck and upfit for a new plow?? Just planning ahead. I am in the market for a used 3/4 ton, and I am thinking about plowing...Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

i just bought a new truck and plow. looking for used truck i count find any thing i liked. must of the used trucks are beat up. now all the auto companies still offering 0% financing it don't pay.

Used truck 17 to 20k and high interest little or no warranty

new truck 26 to 32k 0% and full warranty

newer trucks are expensive to fix so that 3 year old truck might not be such a bargain if you have to replace a trans or injectors or such.

I buy my trucks new and keep them 10 to 12 years. I now how they are maintained. you might get a truck that some beat the **** out of and didn't care because it was a lease
  3. PeteB

PeteB Junior Member

Good point about someone who may have beat the **** out of a truck, but I really don't want to spend the $$ on a new truck. I want to buy used, but I am just wondering if it's worth it to by a used plow truck...would that be beat more than just used truck? I know it depends a lot on how the truck was treated plow or no plow, but as far as all things considered is it better to get a truck that has never plowed and pay for a plow? Also, I know this is down a different thread, but which is the best truck???? to plow with??
  4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Can you say FORD F350:). As far as used ones go I would recommend buying a used truck but not a used plow truck. Plowing is hard on trucks so buy a good used truck that has never been used to plow and stick a new or used plow on it.
  5. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

make sure you don't buy a ford new or used you will be better off:D

he is right find a used one that has not plowed
  6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

buy a used truck that never plowed. ford f-350 is the best plow truck.

CHEVY/GMC trucks suck. they don't last long. they can't handle plowing. everyone i kno including myself who has ever owned a chevy said it was a pos. BUY FORD OR DODGE!!.
  7. rewoodworking

i am new to plowing but not new to having a truck and i have alot of friends that have plowed for years

the ones with the fords are always breaking down and the ones with the Chevy's don't that means something the ford front end is the worst on the market and is that a standard option with ford having self lubricating (pure oil in the top of motor and it leaks all over the bottom) or is that the way you change your oil
    and dodge if they could figure out how to build a tranny they would be starting to fix there problems

get a chevy or gmc ride in comfort and look good at it also
    and you don't have to worry about be Found On Road Dead or who wants to have to Fix Or Repair Daily

8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

When I started 20 years ago, I was going to get a new plow fitted on an older 1/2 ton. The plow dealer talked me out of it as the plow will almost always outlast the truck, so be careful putting a new unit on an older rig unless the truck is very strong. You're right going with at least a 3/4 ton. I now run 1 ton utility beds as the power and weight combination makes plowing effortless. Also, go for power windows, if your windows get fogged, they are easy to clear or just put down. 1 blind spot can ruin a good season. A/C is also helpful as it kicks in when you run the defroster and clears your windows faster.
  9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

ok, we had a 1988 ford f-250 that plowed, hauled, pulled a excavator/backhoe, and lawn mower for 15years straight. never blew a tranny or engine. it has a 7.5meyer plow. we bought a 2001 chevy 3500, nothing but problems. blew 2 transmission's the first at 12,000miles, the second at 37,000miles. the wiper a gas gauge never work right. sometimes it wont start. its just a pos. the 1988 ford still runs better then our chevy. the ford has 300,000+ on it with the original 351w engine. the ford never gave us trouble. the chevy is a lemon. in the spring we are buying a brand new ford f-550 dump truck with the 6.ol dsl. we are getting rid of our chevy 3500 for good
  10. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

Im going to disagree a bit with some of the above info.

If you can find a used plow truck thats been taken care of then buy it. Used vehicles all have a risk. Used pickups more so since they are usually WORK trucks. The benefit to buying new is that YOU know the history- you are the history. You have no way to know the history of a used vehcile- plow truck, daily driver, camper truck, what ever. The truck may have been used by a brick layer to carry a cube or two of bricks with sand and cement all day long. :( If you have the skill/knowledge to check them out I wouldnt rule out a plow truck- if not a good mechanic can give you an opinion. Im not saying look only at oplow trucks, but I wouldnt rule something out just because it has a plow.

Happy New Year
  11. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I mean why buy the #1 selling truck, hell just buy a Chevy or a GMC. our 2nd truck is a Dodge, I'd rather have it than a GM product.
  12. PeteB

PeteB Junior Member

Thanks for the info! I am leaning towards an F 250. I own a 2001 F 150 SuperCrew, and I have been happy with it. I want a 3/4 ton for my next truck, and I appreciate everyone's response. What a great site! Hope to find a good used truck in the next month. I've been approved for an 18k loan. One more question: Are 3/4 tons ready to plow or do they need "plow prep packages?" Thanks again!
  13. rewoodworking

you said it you got a lemon and if that is so you should have gone and taken it back and replaced it all truck company's have there share of them but that is one to my ten. alot of guys that don't know better around here when they test drive a chevy after driving a ford they buy a chevy and i alway ask what do they like better and the answer is aways drives like a dream quote: i never knew a truck could drive like this and the power it so much more

i have had my days of slumming to i liked the look of the 02 ford and i bought one it only lasted three months
    %$#* horsepower and if i wanted to ride a horse i would that thing was so bouncy my pregnant wife couldn't ride in it

and if you had a chevy you will agree the steering radios is %$# ridiculous
    like i said i am new at plowing and i thing being able to turn in tight places is a must:confused:
  14. rewoodworking

you guys are hillbillies thats why the spell check is not working
  15. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

If you want a F250 get a 1999 or newer. The 80-98' ones have a TTB front-end and they don't hold up that well with the weight of a plow on them. If you want something older than a 99' get a F350.
  16. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I have both Ford and Chevy in my Fleet right now, and both manufactures trucks have performed very well for me.

I have never owned a Dodge plow truck so I will not comment on one.
  17. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok we all have our favs. mine happens to be a chevy-- me and my blazer have been plowing since 82 and she is still going strong on the other hand my ford pick up died --but my partners is still going after 9 years of abuse--- i guess what im trying to say is it only matters that u get what u need set it up right and take care of it
  18. PeteB

PeteB Junior Member

Crumm, thanks for that bit of advice on the F 250 front end! That kind of knowledge is helpful. I will look for 99 or newer. Just saw a 2001 Dodge 2500 in my price range. No plow. Any thoughts?
  19. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got a 99 F250 and it doesn't bounce at all unless me and the girlfriend are having fun!:D
  20. capnkel

capnkel Junior Member
    from Saco

Hard to beat Ford trucks when it comes to REAL heavy duty use,if you want a car with a plow get a chevy,if you want something you can use rough Ford is the way to go.
    I started with chevy/gmc didn't take long to have problems with it,my 1987 f250 has led a very tough life,off roading,and carrying loads,i even have a slip for gravel showing 8700lbs in the beds,whoops just a bit over the rating ,but handled just fine,it still hauls 3000-5000lbs often,only parts needed in 190000 miles are 2 waterpumps $65.00,other than normal wear and tear parts.
    A nother plow guy near me gave up on his chevys and has gone to all Fords,he runs 6 trucks,got tired of replacing trannys in each truck once or twice a year.