1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Tires To Plow With?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Allagash, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I'm in the market for tires for my new (to me) plow truck. It's an 1989 Ford F250 with a Meyer plow. The tires on it now are shot. They're 235/85/16's. I'm new to plowing and not sure which brand and style of tire to put on this truck. My questions are many....

1) Size. This is the stock size for this truck. Would you recommend staying with this size or going with a slightly larger tire?

2) Style. What's better: All Season, All Terrain, or Mud Terrain? I've got a new Ford that I don't plow with that's my daily driver, but I like this old truck and will no doubt put some miles on it during the summer just because.

3) Brand. I've been on www.tirerack.com reading reviews on tires and they're all over the place. Some people like a certain tire in the snow and other don't.

4) Where's it made? I'd prefer to buy an American made tire, but I'm not completely stuck on it.

I've got a buddy who's plowed for a few years and he recommended going with a 10 ply all season tire. He says the 10 ply will handle the front end weight of the plow better and the tires won't roll as much and will wear better.

Any Help?
  2. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

If your looking for just snow or all around, look into the coopers. best i have used ever, cant rem the name. i think cooper discover AT maybe
  3. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 Member

I have had the best luck with the BF Goodrich's All-Terrain T/A KO. They are a great tire with good tread life. The grip like no other in the snow. They are also decent off-road. I have them on my 1997 Dodge 2500, they are 285-75-16. They fit and I have had no problems. Just my .02 cents. :cool:
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd first decide what type of tire you want. Each has advantage and disadvantage. Basically:

AT = All Terrain. As it's name, it's for use in all types of terrain and all seasons.

M&S = Mud and Snow. More aggressive than the AT and generally gives better traction due to the siping. Usually, you'll want another set of tires and switch for the summer months. Running M&S tires on dry pavement will lead to excessive wear.

Personally, I have a set of studded Cooper Discoverer M&S 10-ply tires on my one ton dually. They'll come off about April 1st. They've lasted three seasons so far with very little wear.

I just bought two Starfire Radial APDs for my half ton. They're an M&S tire. Don't have any idea how they'll do, but the dealer recommended them, so I'm going to try then out. Going on the backup truck, so wanted to save a little. About $20 each less than the Cooper's for that truck.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

cooper for me

I run cooper truck tires on the broncos. I look for 2 things in a tire for the plows ply and side wall, thicker is better.I have found that i tend to run over or next too to much stuff. I jump on side walks and run the sidewall of the tire on the edge of the walk or parking stops Most parking stops are held down with rebarb and in the winter they rise out of the stop and are just above the stop and can punch a hole in the thinner tire so i look for a heavy duty truck tire to carry the load......
  6. wddodge

wddodge Member

First, whatever tire you decide to get, make sure it's load range D or E.

The absolute best tire is the Blizzak. It's a dedicated snow tire with unbelievable traction on snow. This is not a tire that you would want to run year around.

I run a set of BFG Revos and have found they work very well. After I put them on, I found I could plow about half the time in 2wd. Off road traction is very good as far a dirt or snow goes. A dedicated mud tire they are not.

7. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

I love my Cooper M&S I run the LT series you get a little deeper lug. They are quiet on the road I drive 60 miles a day at 65 mph and the wear has been very good, excellent traction all year plus when I plow. I have a 1996 S!) blazer with Western 6'6" and run a LT 235/75/r15.

8. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I use Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's on my 2000 Silverado 2500. They have a pretty aggressive tread, and I can plow in 2WD on most flat surfaces. They ride well on the road, and are "E" load rated (10 ply) so they handle the plow, ballast & salt spreader with no problem. You can run up to 80 psi if needed. Check your local Firestone dealers, Bridgestone runs specials occasionally where you buy 3 tires & get the 4th free. At $150 or so per tire, this can be a pretty good deal. I bought them for about $200 a set less than Tire Rack offered due to this sale, and they also did an alignment for $40.00.
  9. swolff

swolff Junior Member

sorry I had to!

I use a plow to push snow. The tires help the truck roll.

Shame on me! :nono: :angel:
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Decide what you want- snow tires or all season. Snow tires are a thousand times better for plowing, but will not last a season in the summer as a daily driver. All season tires will last better for the summer but not have as much traction for snow and ice.

Use E range tires either way- the size is fine. I normally use those in snows because they are narrow and 265-75R16 for summer for the width.
    Goodyear Workhorse Extragrip are fantastic snow tires- most popular here.
    Currently useing BFG Commercial Traction TA- great for the first season but this is the 2nd season and they are half worn- alot less siping and alot less traction.
    Summer tires I have now are Toyo Open Country- they're all season all terrain, snow rated. Plowed with them last season (in 265-75R16- wider tire) and they were great. This season they are worn too much, I'll be getting them replaced this summer as they have a 60Kmile warranty and I have less than 20K miles on them. Probabily going to plow with them again next year.

Generally tires that preform well in snow and ice do not preform well for summer street driving- softer rubber for snow and ice traction wears out fast on highway/summer driving and hard street tires don;t have as good a traction.

I recomend the Goodyears and the Toyo's but not the BFG. Haven't tried the Cooper everyone seems to like here, but I have used the brand in the past with good luck.
  11. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Best Tire to PLOW With!

Ole Timers TIP!--the Best tire for Plowing Snow!--heres how You can Tell?--Go look at as Many as Possible!-& look streight Down on the tread!--the One you want?--the Tread should be a Little Narrower at the Top then where the Tread meets the tire Body---Bottom--reason?--a tire runs a Little Warmer than SNOW!--& w/ a slightly tapered tread! on evey Revolution the Tire will Clean Itself!--as the SNOW will Fall Out of the Tread!--on the Back Side--givng YOU a New Full Tread BITE--the One Pictured-NICE!-but Not the One I*D Pick!-as the Tread looks Square to Me?--the Same? Width Top to Bottom & once Its Spun & full of SNOW?--as Square Treads don*T CLEAN themselves!--& most of the Really Modern Aggresive tread Designs make more NOISE that I like--& Big Wide Tires for Plowing? is NO Good!--Tall & Narrow! are the BEST--Don*t Beleive ME?--take a Look at All the Big Bad Plowing Rigs! WALTERS--FWDs--OSKOSH--ever SEE--Dual rear Wheels on any of them?--NO!--& NO Wide Ones Either!--& I agree on the extra Ply Side walls!-a Few Bucks more--but worth the xtra Cost! in My book!--Hope? this Helps you--Ole JIM--
  12. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Ole Jim good points you made, its hard to see in the picture but the tire I show cleans very well. It leaves the exact opposite image in the snow and rarely ever clogs up. One more thing to look for is SIPES, those thin razor like slits in the tires, excellent for grip on ice, thats why mud tires usually stink in snow ice no SIPES. Another thing to look at is the lugs, in the picture each square lug gets smaller in size. Each size makes a different noise and the harmonics cancel each other out making for a quiet ride. Got my 4 for $395 out the door mounting, lifetime balancing, road hazard,new valve stems, lifetime rotation.
  13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Jim, the tire pictured is a Cooper M&S. It is designed with sloping lugs as you noted. They are also siped. I'm not wanting to start a brand war as I'm sure there are several out there that are real good. However, the Cooper M&S is one that's been recommended by several plow guys, on this site as well as others, with quite a bit of experience.

I just noticed the following in the original post and wondered what it meant:

"the tires won't roll as much"
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  14. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I plow with BFG All Terrains, I haven't had any problems with them. I can do most of my plowing in 2wd on flat surfaces. When this set wears out I know for sure I am getting another :drinkup:
  15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The Cooper Discoverer pictured above and the one I pictured here on my truck DO have angled, siped lugs. Not only are they angled, they are even SERRATED!

This is THE best snow tire I've EVER used on a vehicle. And as a previous owner of a Big Block truck, I have had a LOT of different brand tires.... :eek:

16. jbjw@netins.net

jbjw@netins.net Junior Member

Hi i have three trucks all with durango radial xtr and have great luck in the snow & mud and i have always got at least 40,000+ miles out of them they are just an al around good tire
  17. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

The best?? Blizzak, hands down are the best! But they are a dedicated tire, use them in the heat and you'll cook them.

18. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

You can compare the blizzaks with the cooper M&S, they both have the CUTS in the tread for the gripping on ice. Both are great but the coopers are cheaper i bet.
  19. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Also, the Coopers are a LOAD RANGE E 3415lb rated tire....

I don't believe the Blizzaks are rated that high.
  20. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Thanks to all for the responses. I'm learning alot. This site has quickly become one of my favorite. Does anyone hang out here in the summer or does the traffic drop off until the flakes fly?

To those who like the Cooper Discoverer M&S, how many ply are they? Also, how many miles should they be good for if driven on year round?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005