1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which tires do you like for plowing?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by countrydoc, Sep 11, 2008.

1. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

I've been away from the site for a while, now that the leaves are turning and I am putting in the firewood, its time to start making the truck ready for winter...

I may need new tires, and am wondering what folks here like for plowing performance. I run a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD with an 8' Fisher (wish I got a 9', learned a LOT about pushing out the edges last winter). I plow a 1/3 mile private gravel road and an 80' paved driveway that has a pretty steep slope down from the road to the garage. I am in Maine, which means ice is the real enemy.

I made it through last winter with older Cooper Discoverer AT tires that came on the truck. They are 265/75/16's, but the stock tires for this truck were 245's. I tried chains once last winter, and learned all about how chains can rip a brake line apart, so I would rather avoid the need for chains this winter.

I do very little highway driving with this truck. I am thinking of getting a true winter tire such as the Blizzak. What kind of experience have people here had with winter tires for plowing? What brands and models do you like best? And do the 265's have any traction advantage over the 245's?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Blizzaks are fantastic tires FOR snow and ice they dont wear well and have a mushy feel. The soft tread compound works greate in snow. I use them.
  3. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

Im in the market for tires this year as well. I have 58k on my BFG rugged trails and i think im gonna try the BFG AT's anyone had good luck with them??
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

The BFG's AT's are alright, but they wear kind of fast. I put some on last fall and here I am a year later and they're getting REAL low on tread. I'm going to get something else before winter starts.
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i run at's load e and i like them. they do seem to wear kind of fast and dont seem much good on ice.
    If i was country doc i would go for a complete snow/ice tire since he doesnt take out the truck much other than plowing like the blizzaks.

My next set i might buy the at's again but im going to shop around more. Im thinking a off brand could save me some dollars and give me just as good a tire. For the money im not sure bfg ats are worth it and they arent actually a snow/ice tire anyway. I see people plowing in all seasons and wally world tires all the time.
    I used to run General's (cant remember the type) simple blackwalls and thought they were great and made a little less for off road but havent seen them around latley.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  6. bribrius

NOTE: While most BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements (and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol), selected tires do not. Tires not meeting the industry's severe snow service requirements are identified on the Sizes & Pricing page, as well as the Specs page with a "Not Rated For Severe Snow" notation to the immediate right of each applicable tire size
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The bfg at ko is a very good tire in the snow and ice
    but they are expensive and they do wear fast if you have a heavy plow and carry a lot of weight.

I have found that any tire with out a center rib with an open tread pattern short of a mud tire works the best as a plow truck tire.

Remember to add weight in the box this will improve traction + ballast.
  8. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

X2 on that one. the bfg's are what i run in the winter
  9. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Green Diamond Tires

Look up Green Diamond tires on the internet. I just bought a set of their Icelander AT's. It's a "real" snow tire, that you keep on year round. Do a serach here on "Green Diamond Tires" and see my previous post, -and posts that other have made. Good luck! -By the way prices at the dealers in Central New York State were much lower than their web site prices... :gunsfiring:
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

COOPER M+S they are a studable tire, good wet, dry and snow traction, pretty good on ice, quiet and I get 40,000-50,000 on a set. You can get them in E range which any full size truck should run for plowing and they are usually a pretty fair price.
  11. ukiekozak

ukiekozak Junior Member

If youre looking for tires I suggest BFG all terrain ta/ko tires. They come with (extreme winter rating). Also may want to put some weight in the back of your truck. go with 245/75/16 the narrower the tire better for traction
  12. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i just bought a new set for the hummer and yeah they were expensive but......i got 60k out of the last set and still had several thousand miles in them ~35% remaining

they didnt get around to well and that rig weighs a bunch so i figured instead of the wife and 2 kid's being stuck in some ditch or snobank it may be wise to go ahead and put some new ones on.

i had a set of BFG M/T and i loved them.....in deep wet snow. and they were decent on ice too....they wore well etc.

i am going to put GoodYear silent armor's on my little salt truck this year.. the tire has a 40k mile guarantee on them

hop this helps

13. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

The more i read about the BFG AT's the more i read that they wear fast. I need something that is a good in snow but i can keep on all year.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer the black ones.
  15. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

You guys really need to look into general grabber at2. Almost same patttern as bfg at ko but better and cost way less and work better. And is a true snow rated tire.
  16. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

17. bribrius

thanks. that what i couldnt remember. (look above at previous post.)
  18. Michael M

Michael M Member

Cooper Discoverer M + S best tires on the market. I ran them last winter without studs.
  19. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Finally someone else using Coopers. I'm at a loss as to why all these guys run BFGs.
  20. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Sure good info but sorry to be off topic.

What good tires and will last for long time it for F250 with 8'6 plow so I don't want him keep spin with those tires that have name look like spanish name.

But I have tracker 2 on my truck I say it good in snow but poor in mud or wet grass it would spin so easy that you need try moving without spin to get stuck in mud. Old tires I used to have is maxxis mudder it was worse! if you park in yard where snow. When it melt then it get cold again you get stuck there. I got stuck so bad I try 4x4 and turn steering left and right until it start bite snow . That was nearby scare if I get stuck there with 10 miles away gas station plus no cell phone signal and outside is very cold plus it get dark fast.

It hard to pick tires that you want mud and snow. Plus they are cost expense like $180 for 1 tires since tracker 2 are $110 for 1 tires.