1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which time

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jdknight75, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

I salt a very large parking lot open 24 hrs. do you guys think it is better to salt late at nite or around 6 in the morning?
  2. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Whenever it needs it is what I would do.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If it's open 24 hrs I'd salt at night. it really depends on how much snow there is. If there calling for 1" or less I'd salt the whole lot when it starts snowing and try and melt it all. If it's calling for a bigger storm, I would just salt the main parking area that's used and the store fronts and wait until later to see if you need to plow. JMO

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Your usually safer to wait until morning to salt entire lot for fear of more snow than you thought so you end up pushing anyway and then salting again. I agree with JD Dave if you know your only getting an inch and its gonna be 30 the next day lay the salt to it and let er burn
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Salt when there is the least amount of traffic to work around. JMO
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Salt works better on falling snow then fallen snow. If you are sure there is only 1" then salt early. 2 weeks ago the forecast was for trace, they were close we only got 5", needless to say we looked a little dumb with the salt truck out at the beginning of the storm. We had a few complaints why we were trying to salt 5". That's what happens when I'm sleeping. LOL