1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Detroitdan, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My plow guy wants to sell me a snow-ex 1875, he says it's the only one that will throw mix. A Meyers/Diamond dealer told me the Meyers Mate will throw mix, but I'm not sure I believe him. I WANT to believe him because it's a lot less money, but I'm just not sure. The website says it will throw sand, salt, and "damp" materials. What I want to do is get a load of mix in the back of my truck, then shovel it in as needed. Most of the tailgate spreaders I see are only for dry bagged salt, but if that's all I can spread I may as well just buy a walk-behind for $150. But nobody cares about salt, they all want to be sanded... what should I do? I want to spend the least amount possible because I don't know how much I'll be able to recover this winter. If somebody has used a Meyers Mate let me know, I'm halfway talking myself into it. thanks

2. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Mate vs 1875

Both are good machines. Both have a vibrator too. The Mate has the Sure-Flow Z-80 by Karrier Company and I'm not sure who's building the SnowEx vibrator these days. When the Mate was being designed I know they wanted a spreader that would do exactly what you want a spreader to do. So, either spreader should work great.

Bob

3. Detroitdan

I thought the vibrator was an option on the 1875. At least that's how it looked on all the brochures. I bought the Snow Ex, got a great deal and they threw in the pivot mount and upgrade controller. The upgrade controller they gave me is prewired for a vibrator, but I didn't think I got one. I figured I'd try it without it, and if I had trouble I can always add one later. Come to find out mine has one, I didn't even realize it was there! And when I hooked everything up and tested it I never bothered to push the vibrator button to test it because I hadn't added that option. So today on it's maiden voyage it worked well, then later it sounded a lot louder, couldn't figure it out but everything was working, I thought the motor was just loud and it seemed like I probably wouldn't need a vibrator after all if it shook that much. So I get home and while I'm removing the spreader I happen to look at the back of it and there is a device bolted on up underneath that looks suspiciously like a vibrator. Checked my switch panel and sure enough, the vibrate switch had gotten turned on by mistake. So that's what all the noise was. Shame on me for not looking closer at what I paid all that money for, but it worked out in my favor so I'm happy. The first trip I used some fairly wet mix without the vibrator turned on and I thought it threw it pretty well. But it's nice to know the vibrator is there if I need it.

4. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Hey Detroitdan,

Where'd you buy your spreader?

Bob

5. Detroitdan

Granz Turf Depot in Salem NH