1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which tailgate spreader for 1/2ton?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mark13, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking to buy a tailgate spreader for my truck. Last season I used my bosses snow ex vbox twice with bulk but that's as far as my salt spreading adventures and knowledge go. I know very little of what I need aside from it has to have a variable speed controller or some way to control the spreading width. An average storm I will go through about 1500lbs of bagged salt according to our first run spreading it by hand on the couple of lots on my route.
    I'd prefer to buy used but I'll do new if I have to.
    What's good, what features to look for, and which ones to stay away from? I'll take any info on them that I can get so I get one that fits my needs.
  2. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

what do you want to spread? bagged salt? Bulk salt? sand/salt? Magic?
    What do you want to spent?
  3. obrionusa

obrionusa Junior Member
    from Indiana

I'm looking as well. What I found out from the sales agents is as far as just salt and ice melt spreaders the Buyers TGS05B is a good one for the money. Angelos has them for $850.00.
  4. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I run the snow-ex 575 and I run bulk, bagged and Cal./Mag product thru mine with no problems. Last year I went thru 13 ton of material and never had one problem.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Thats is a good spreader for the money

this is what i have and i highly reccomend it but bulk didnt work so well but it was probably wet
  6. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

You are going to have a tough time running any kind of bulk thru a Buyers spreader. I have the large low profile buyers and I need to use bagged salt. I tried bulk straight salt and it worked OK until it got just a little wet in the back of my truck. Magic or sand/salt mix won't spreader out of the buyers I have. you can add a vibrator, but then you might as well spent the extra money and buy a snow ex.
    Just keep in mind the extra money you will spent in bagged compared to bulk and add that to how much you want to spent.
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Right now I'm just using the normal bagged salt. Next year I may run bagged and/or bulk depending on what accounts I'm set up for and what I'm given by my boss to use.

Sounds like a snow ex with a vibrator should do the trick? Any models in particular or any to stay away from?
  8. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I have a SnowEx BP1875 tailgate spreader on it's way to me. Once I have it installed I'll post a review. I got it because it spreads bulk product. From what I've heard it's really a great unit.

Ran me $3015 installed.
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I probably won't spread straight bulk to much. I'd rather do bags since they are easier with my truck.

Man, your salter is worth 2/3 what my truck is I think. :D
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I run a Wesern 1000. I mix sand/salt at a 2-70lb bags of sand to 1-50lb bag of salt. Ran 3 pallets through it last year. Works awesome and I found it used for $650. Easy to wire up and I am very happy with it. I only used dry product.
  11. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

LOL, well let me tell you, I researched spreaders for about a month and a half before I made a decision. I only buy bulk product, so my main concern was that I was going to buy something and it was going to jam on me all the time. But SnowEx really stands behind what they say their product will do, and the dealer I bought it from even put something in writing saying that if it doesn't perform how it should, they will give me a refund for the full purchase price.

I think the best thing for you would be the 575. I've heard good things about it.
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've been eyeing the 575's also. Looks like it should do the trick and still be large enough for use on a 3/4ton.
  13. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I had a western 1000 ,, on a chevy last year.

It was nice to work with,, spread pretty good & it had a blaster on it. Though I did find it blew a fuse here and there/. I just sold it for $700 canadian. 3 - 4 years old.

I just bout the fisher ploy caster salter, 1.4 yard with the doors up top, i hear alot of bad things about it now that i bought it, but a guy i know paid a lil over 5000 for it new last year, & I got it for 3500,,,, he got out of the business totally.
    I like using the fisher aswell
  14. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

there is a meyer jr. spreader in aurora for 200 right now on craigslist. doesn't look like it has any controls. may need a couple $$ invested. but doesn't look too awful.
    I started with a western stainless that was given to me and ran an on/off toggle switch to just turn it on and off. Wasn't the best thing, but it beat pushing a spreader around the lots.....
  15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

magnuim all the way , now owned by meyer (blaster)
  16. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

go for snow ex 575
    I love mine moved it to my 3/4 ton and it is a champ
    Holds enough for large lot
    easy enough to load in hitch.
    keep it dielectricallt greased and clean after use and youll love it
  17. obrionusa

obrionusa Junior Member
    from Indiana

I'm leaning toward the snow ex 575. Buyer is $140.00 less. Any other inputs? I'm running just salt and ice melt.