1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which T case?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bummerkit, Jul 9, 2001.

1. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

what transfere case does a 79 chev k30 have? it dosent look like the 205 in my blazer and its not a fulltime 203 so i cant figure what it is. can any one help? chuck i have looked on your pages to try and find it but havent been able to yet.

2. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

Most likely it is a 208 .
    it will have an aluminum case.

3. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

what are the specs on the 208? like what is the lowrange gearing?

4. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

About the only thing I know about the 208 is that it is chain driven and has a 2:61:1 low range.

5. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

thanks for the info

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The 208 has an aluminum case. It is very different looking compared to the 203, and 205 (and no photo of one on my site). The 208 isn't a bad case, used on 3/4 ton trucks through the 80's. It didn't debut until 1981 though. When it was new, that 79' K/30 had an NP 205 in it if it was a 4 speed, and the 203 if it was an auto. 1980 was a transition year, so all trucks had the NP 205. In 81, all 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks came with the NP 208 as a standard.

The 208 is weaker by design than the 203. Both the 203 and the 208 are chain driven cases. The NP 205 is gear driven, no chain inside.

~Chuck

7. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

if it is a 203 how much does it cost to convert it to part time? is it something that i can do my self? does any one know anything about the offroad design doubler kit that is what i would like to run.

8. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

It cost about 50 bucks w/o the lock hubs Its pretty straight forward. Just mark sure you use a good oil preferably synthetic and fill the case high as the rear bearing will be getting little oil because the chain/pump not running in two wheel drive
    hope this helps.