1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which system is better?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Jan 15, 2007.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I am thinking of getting rid of my belt driven setup and going with an electric setup. As far as I know there are two different options. Both are fully electric. One is the insta-act pump that mounts under the hood or on the Minute Mount frame. The other mounts strictly to the minute mount frame and I believe is called an SEHP. It is the one that has everything in one, including the lift ram. I will be hooking it to an old style head gear setup so it does not matter if I keep my old ram or use the one on the SEHP. I know either will work I just don't know which one is better. So I ask you which is better?

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

No, both the SEHP and the Insta-Act units are fully isolated from the vehicle. Both are electric over hydraulic units that are mounted to the plow's A-frame. The Newer Insta-Acts are on the last of the MM1s and all of the MM2s. The advantage is operating speed and easier mounting. Not really a big deal, though. The wiring between the two types is the major difference.

3. BoulderBronco

OK but in my setup I will put the Insta Act under the hood. Do they both work the same. I mean is one faster or higher pressure than the other? Would you recommend one vs. the other? And what is the difference in wiring? I don't need lights wired just the pump. I figured it would be pretty easy. A main positive and negative from the pump and then a few wires for the electric joystick or fishstick. Don't they wire up very similarly? Obviously the hydraulic hoses is a no brainer. Thanks for the help.

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I, along with most everyone, would prefer the Insta-Act over the SEHP. It is faster, newer, and just seemingly smoother. They're both good pump/motor assemblies, but I'd go with the Insta-Act if I had the option. I have never put one under the hood of a truck, but I can't see why not. It would be a fairly simple install if you have basic electrical skills. Are you running the Fisher plow lights, as well?

5. BoulderBronco

Yes to the fisher plow lights. But I wired them completly seperate from the plow.