1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JustUsDe, Oct 6, 2003.

1. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I did a search and really didn't see what I was looking for. I will run straight salt. As of now I have no contracts that require salt but want to be prepared if the need arises.

I want to get a Hitch spreader.
    Questions:
    Are all the brands about the same? (Western,sno-ex,myers)
    I don't think I want a large one, But don't want too small. What is a good size?
    Are they simple to install? Should I have installed?
    Is it worth the difference in price to get the variable speed controller instead of the on/off switch?
    Opinion on what one is the better value for the price?
    Whats a good price range?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Ray

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm not a big fan of the smaller spreaders.If you going to get anything,go with a two stage like a Pro-Flo 2.It will do pretty much anything you want,in a fairly compact package.Either get the optional reciever mount,or make your own mount\bumper to mount it on.

They aren't too hard to install,if you have the space and the tools to do so.Can help you on price,as they are very regional.I would assume $2200.00 or so.

Get the variable speed controller.It works wonders,so you don't have to get out and mess with the feedgate all the time.

3. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I have a Fisher Speedcaster2. Works well with either straight salt or sand. Just don't leave the sand in their and drive around to long or it just packs on there and won't come out. You haveto stop every 10 feet and kick it to get the sand to drop. I just got it last year and used it about 20 times here in MA. All in all not a bad little unit once you get the hang of it.
    I agree with wyldman that you must get a 2 stage not a single stage.

4. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I disagree. Why start out with a $2200 2 stage before you even know what you are going to like . I got my trynex 1.5 yard v box for only $2500, so I dont think $2200 for a tailgate is a good deal. We used single stage tailgates with bagged salt with no problems, and I would suggest either the Western 1000 or the Trynex 575. If you have any problems with feeding because of the type of salt you bought, a $200 vibrator will solve that, and your still way ahead of the guy who buys a two stage. Many single stage units only run $800 new, and are on the used market for $400-$500 all the time.

If you get more accounts for salting, you probably will move up to a full size spreader before too long anyway.

5. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I would like to buy a Trynex VP 8000 for 2500.00 Around here they are over 3600.00. Mail order they are 3435.70 not including shipping. The VP 6000 mail order is 3091.70 not including shipping. Mail order for the Pro Flo 2 is 1897.30 plus S&H and the Speedcaster is 1754.14 plus S&H.

I bought a Pro Flo 2 for 1925.00 cash and carry, with the bed mount. That was from a local guy. I like to buy local for the service.

6. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Yeah, when I bought the 8000, it was mid season, and they had another I just about bought as well. Now I wish I had !

7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ditto Pine Islands comments. I have a 2 stage (Pro Flo 2 ) and I also have a Trynex 575 single stage. That one is a great simple unit to learn with. I bought it a couple of years ago for about a grand Next Day Aired. If you are at all mechanically inclined or handy with tools, that is an easy one to install yourself. I installed mine in about an hour and a half with lights set up on 3 way switch. No matter which brand you go with, follow the instructions & maintain them correctly & you will get many years of use out it.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have the Fisher speed caster II and like it but like said above get the variable speed control and don't drive around with a load of sand to long.The reason I got it was don't have alot of accounts that need sanding and I did not want to have a vbox in my bed that would be hard to clean out and have salt residue on or go under my liner.

9. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Thanks for everyones input. I want to stay with a hitch mount since I have the hard cover on my bed. I was looking at the Western 500 and 1000 the day I got my plow on. Hopefully I will see a few different ones at the BBQ. Maybe I can get a good deal on a cash and carry that day.;)

Ray

10. myo

myo Senior Member

:help: I am looking into used fullsize spreaders. I am new to sanding/salting and don't know much about the units, so when I go to look at these used spreaders (1 torwell, 1 fisher, swenson) Are there parts on the sander that I should make sure they are in good working condition? What parts on the sander would be ready to be replaced? Any feedback will be appreciated.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Watch for bad rusting in the very bottom channels.Check all the bushings\bearings to make sure they are healthy,and not siezed.The chain may need replacing too.

The chain and the bearings aren't too hard to replace,and would be considered normal replacement items on an older used unit.If the rest of the unit is rusting badly,I wouldn't buy it.

12. myo

myo Senior Member

How much would it cost to replace bearings and chain? What do you look at to tell if the chain needs replacing?

One ad says , Torwell Sander. Holds 1.5 yds. Nds to be oiled and painted. Nds cleaning.

Is that something to stay away from?

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

The chain should move freely at each link,with no siezed,binding or sloppy links.A little bit of play is OK,but if the links are real bad,it's time to replace it.Take a look at the chain adjuster too.If it's adjusted almost all the way out,the chain is probably due for replacement.

Bearings and chain vary as per manufacturer,but most bearings are $20-30.00 (cheaper if you can match the at a bearing house),and a chain will usually run $250-300.00.

Make sure the motor is in good shape too,as they can be expensive to repair or replace.

14. myo

myo Senior Member

Thanks wyldman for your help and advice