1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which spreader to buy??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Joe V, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Joe V

Joe V Junior Member

I am considering purchasing a salt spreader and am overwelmed with all of the models and information. I'm in Rhode Island, and use my equipment primarily for my own properties, however would consider going beyond that scope with the sander. I would appreciate feedback from the professionals as to what brands/models of spreaders to look at and also to stay away from. I generally buy the best that I can afford when it comes to equipment and tools, with the hopes of fewer headaches down the road. I've researched Hi-way, Swenson, Monroe just to name a few. Any insight would be appreciated, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and respond. :confused:
  2. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I use a Down East 1.5 yd SS Electric, 6 years no problems. Replaced all the chains this fall.
  3. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

It depends on how much you are doing. I had a Buyers in my F250. Sold that truck & just sold the spreader because it was too long for my new truck. I now have a Meyers tailgate spreader. It works pretty good so far.
  4. Rickco

Rickco Member

There are many good spreaders out there. What is it going on? A single stage (spiner only) will work fine if you are only laying down a little salt only. If you plan on using a sand/salt mix do not even think of a single stage unit!IT WILL NOT WORK!