1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which spreader PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Here's my situation, When I first started out I only needed to salt 1 smaller lot so I bought a Meyer's mini jr. we have since picked up some larger accounts in the last 4 seasons. I need a spreader that will lay salt down "thicker" than my Meyer's will. I've run dry bagged #1 rock salt, bulk salt and even smaller sized rock salt all with the same results....a 3ft path. It spins freely but it just doesnt through a lot of salt very far and I'm tired of going up and down lots and waisting salt. I can only use a tailgate spreader due to dump insert and budget. I was looking into a Fisher 1000 or 2000 or a Snow-Ex 1075. Will any one of these mentioned be any better at laying down a more even path or not. Thanks in advance. I was really hoping one of these would lay salt down like a v box but that might be asking too much.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'd look at the 1875 by Snowex, or something like a Wester/Fisher Proflo-2. The 2-stage units will spread similar to a Vbox, and usually have separate controls for the spinner and conveyor/feeder.

I've got a Grotech (older Western 1000), which will spread fairly thick for a tailgate unit, but nowhere near what a v-box or undertailgate spreader can.
  3. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Look at the Boss 1100 series tailgate spreader. You can now start with a base unit and option up to a RT3 power attach/detach. This spreader comes standard with a variable speed control and blast feature. Sure, its not going to be the same as a slide in hopper spreader, but this unit will get the job done. Best of luck.
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

what dump insert are you using? I believer truck craft and doweaster make replacement tailgates that will work with most inserts.
  5. Brian Young

I have a Downeaster but the price I was quoted for their spreader was 3895.00 (ss) plus tax and thats a little more than I wanted to spend. A guy I know has 10, yes 10! insert spreaders for a Easy Dump inserts. I would have to do some mods but nothing major, but there is no warranty, and these things are already about 4-5 years old (not used but still 4-5 years old) he is asking 1500 bucks for one that is already put together and 1k for one thats in a few pieces.
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Dude pick up one of those spreaders. Along with finding getting 4 or 5 for me. I got lots of guys with inserts but not spreaders. I rather have a under tailgate spreader than a v box anyday. Brinly doesn't make a spreader, other wise I would have bought one already for my insert.
  7. Brian Young

I'll give you the guy's number if you want. He is here in Erie.