1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which snowblower to buy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Squires, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Looking at a snowblower for my father
    Torn between
    9 28 tracked Honda
    And Toro

Ariens and toro would be new from the dealer with their respective warranties
    The honda however would be a us import and all be it new would not qualify for the 3 year warranty because the dealer here will not warranty a US model apparantly.

what would you do?

thanks in advanced
  2. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I've got an old Toro and absolutely love it.
  3. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

That dealer has to be full of it not to warrenty it. Im not sure what the cost difference is 928 and i believe the 1132 model from honda but I would say the 1132 model next however would be the ariens. JL with whatever you do
  4. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Im not sure what their policy is, I know there mad because people are undercutting them by between $500 and $700 for the same machine.
    I would be under the understanding that they would be responsible regardless of weather it was bought there or not.

I know the dealer last year advertised that the americal vs canadian model was different and that they could not get parts for the us "cheap" models
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Honda makes a fantastic snowblower...i'm not sure i personally am a huge fan of the tracks but i'm sure it would be a great machine!
  6. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i have 6 toro's and 1 big club cadet, the toro's we use are light weight and gives us 4 to 5 years of service and we do alot of walks.they are the small single stage and cost 300 to 400 with 2 year warranity
  7. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

This sounds odd. Build quality for US and Canada would be the same. Same machine makes little sense to me.

FWIW I bought a HS1132 electric start last year for $3000 out the door with tax. I have been told by some other poster here that the 928 with wheels has a faster ground speed which might help out on productivity in some instances. I absolutely love the infinitely variable hydro drive. The HS1132 moves a serious amount of snow. My specific blower had a sliglhty tweaked housing causing excessive wear on one side of the drag bar. It was replaced under warranty.
  8. Squires

Squires Senior Member

i Spoke with the honda service dept here and was told that there are instances where when they look up parts they made be different on the canadian vs american model.

Im not quite sure if i believe them or not, but i also don't want to end up with a $3200 investment that i can not get parts for, as a result i think its going to come down to either the Toro or Ariens as the $4000 out the door price for the 9/28 honda is a little steep

FYI the 11/32 looks like a very impressive machine, but for the price i think i would have to say no at $4200

the 9/27 wheeled is not tooo bad at around $3300
  9. EastCoast

EastCoast Junior Member

I have an Ariens 624 (24") that I purchased 5 years ago.... treated me well.... no issues..... but looking to move up to a Honda in September. I will be buying either the HS724TA or HS928TA.... because you can't beat a Honda. Besides the reliability of the Honda's the extra discharge distance would help me when clearing my driveway.

Good luck with your purchase... but I have made my decision.... just waiting for August/Sept to pull the trigger.
  10. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have an 1132 and love it. I am selling my single stages and buying a second one for next year.
  11. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

I have had an Ariens for about Seven years. It was my first snow blower and I absolutely love it. This year is the first time I have had to make any major repairs other than changing the oil and replacing shear pins, etc.
  12. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

I'm surprised to read this ...?

My HS 1132 moves snow like no other in less than deal conditions but it is in fact slower to off load and use in nominal snow for smallish residential paved driveways 25' wide by less than 45' long. In my experience snow really has to be fairly deep well over 12" and no longer fluffy powder to warrant off loading the Honda.

What model of singles are you running?