1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Snowblower Is Best

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jg244888, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

I am interested in doing snow removal in my area in which typically driveway's are 4 car, and was wondering what make and model snow blower is best id like to spend under $500 and would like to do about 10 drives per storm.
    Thanks

2. E.D.

E.D. Junior Member

Well first off you need to choose whether you want a new or used thrower. For $500 and under your options on new throwers are pretty limited. If your willing to buy a used one, then i'd suggest either looking in your local paper/trader magazine to see whats available from a private individual or going to your local dealers and seeing what they've got available used. Sometimes you can haggle with these guys and get a good deal on a nice used thrower. When choosing which thrower is for you, you'll need to determine if you want a single stage or a two stage, how big of a thrower you'll need for the amount of snow that usually comes with your storms, and your transport options. By transport options i mean if you get a single stage, then more than likely you'll be able to load/unload it yourself, but if you get a two stage then they tend to be on the heavier side and you'll need a truck/ramps to load them or a buddy to help you load it into the truck every time. If you can i'd suggest getting a list of the used ones that you have available locally and posting it on here, then maybe some of the more experienced guys can help you pick out a good one from the list. Just my .02, hope its been helpful to ya

3. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

How does a new Toro Powerlite 38182 3.25 HP with Electric Start for $550 is this a good machine or will it just keep breaking

4. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

What kind of snow falls do you see at a time? Did you do a search for answers on this? You should find plenty of info just doing searches.

5. E.D.

E.D. Junior Member

I agree with jkitterman, you need to base your choice off of how much snow fall you see each time it storms. As far as the Toro 38182, i definitely would not buy it from wherever your going to buy it from. I went to google and typed in "Toro Powerlite 38182" and then looked under shopping results and none of the first 10 results to come up were even above $500. Try lookin here, this one is only $399

http://www.valleypower.com/ccrpow325e.html?productid=ccrpow325e&channelid=FROOG

If this is the thrower that your looking at getting, i'm sure that if you do some searching and you can wait a few days for it to get there, then you should have no reason to pay $550 for this thrower. As far as the thrower itself i've never used it so you'll have to wait for someone who uses this one or a similar single stage to give their opinion on it. Hope this is helpful

6. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

we get an average of 4-6" per storm what would the ideal machine be assuming i can get it
    thanks

7. s helping hand

s helping hand Junior Member

i do alot of drive ways my self.. Your best to go with a toro or lawn boy single stage 21'' 5.5 hp or more.
    i just got a brand new lawn boy one stage the Model is 34001 and toro makes it to same blower its just a different color.. paid $750 Canadian + tax
    I cant say enough about this snow blower it is a little monster!!! it eats drive ways for breakfast.. its fast its light i does amazing job on a drive way i love it ..way better than my big 9.5hp 27" mtd..
    BUT under $500 think your going to have to go USED... I am from Canada .ON and snow blowers are sold out witch sucks...Soo good luck to you should be able to find a used one or some thing let me know how it goes

8. Dodge318

Dodge318 Junior Member

I run my whole business on Toro S-200s and S-620s. I love them.

I currently have about 10 S-200/S-620s and and a 3650. I am a small engine mechanic so most of the s-200/S-620s are free. People don't want to put money into 20 year old machines so they buy new. They work great and can be had in running condition on craigslist for under a $100. Also they are pretty well bulletproof.

9. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

does anyone know where i can find the toro or the lawn boy in stock in or near Toronto like around Barrie is even ok
    thanks for the help

10. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You are so funny, an in stock Toro during snow season. They sell better than hotcakes to lumberjacks.
    You can try calling the dealers to see what they have.

11. Dodge318

Dodge318 Junior Member

I still have Toro snowthrowers in stock. Lawnboys too. And we have had nothing but snow for the last three weeks.

12. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Do you have the full line or did the single stages sell out? Singles go quick in Chicagoland area.

13. Dodge318

Dodge318 Junior Member

We have single stage. We are in Minneapolis proper. No need for two stages around here.

I've got a couple of powerlites left as well as about 6 Lawnboy single stage 2 strokes.The Lawnboy is basically a Toro 3650 with a little better handle.

I sold so many two years ago when we had 2 -12" back to back storms I think most of my area is sitting on new machines so we haven't sold out yet. Plus due to the economy More people are opting for repair, when they would have bought a new machine last year.

14. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

Do you ship to Canada (Toronto, Ontario)?

15. Dodge318

Dodge318 Junior Member

No. The Boss just doesn't want to have all the bother when it's something that will easily sell anyway. I really can't blame him too much for that. He figures were so low on stock right now, Why work for the sales.

In the past we have had people come down usually during the holidays and buy 3-4 for them and their neihbors. And bring them back up when they went home.

I guess I never knew it was that hard to get a snowblower in Canada.:dizzy:

16. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

picked up a toro 2450 thats a couple of years old today for $250 is there anything to watch out for with these?
    thanks

17. Dodge318

Dodge318 Junior Member

That's a steal.

2450's are good machines. Just keep an eye on the scraper on the bottom. They wear out pretty quick in a commercial setting and if left to long it can damage the housing.

18. E.D.

E.D. Junior Member

Gratz man, glad to see you got yourself a nice thrower. Goodluck