1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which snow plow to buy?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by skidooer, May 19, 2008.

1. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

I am looking at either the Boss 9'2" XT-V with smartlocks or a fisher EZV stainless 9'5"

does anyone have any input on these plows?

Thanks in advance
  2. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

it seems to always turn into a battle with questions like this. im going to try and give you the very best advice when it come to buying new. and this holds true no matter what your buying... Dealer service. depending on where you live ask around to other plowing guys and see what they have to say about the places near you as far as service goes. what good is it if you get a good deal on a fisher and if something happens theres no one around to get parts from or fix it? see what has the better warranty, ask to see what they will do for you if your just a little out on the warranty ( thats the time something will break ) and if everything checks out that there good customer support for both products and you have the money, id personally say buy the Boss. cause thats what i have had great luck with. and with that being said im sure now will come the my plow is better than your plow. good luck with which ever plow you chosepayup
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many questions to ponder but SOS hit the # 1 one on the head...

Of these two plow choices which dealer has the best support? Thats one of the main as well as the first factors when choosing a plow brand.

If the dealer can't or wont fix it...it becomes a $6000 paper weight when it's broken.

Start there and then look at the mechanical/physical differences between the two plows.

What features do you like of each one?

Which one has the MAJORITY of the features you like?

How much research have you done so far?

How much plow experiences do you have ski? Have you operated or even seen either of these plows in person?
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Also to add....PARTS.
    When you break down does one or the other dealer have a good parts department?
    Western is common around here and there is a dealer within 15 minutes of me that carries just about every part for a Western plow, and has a good inventory too if the same part sells a lot chances are he still has one.........
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

fourth line down near the end:salute:
  6. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

get that fisher yellow
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Don't listen to Baker. Do what others have said and check dealer service and support first.
  8. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

then if there the same buy a fisher it will last for ever expecily with the x bracing on the back but it dosent lock some times and you just pust it fowar but that fisher is the way to go but i agree with the dealer part see whats better and go with the dealer side the fisher dealers are alwase good around here check it out tho.
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

sno way:waving::waving::waving::waving:
  10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Were you at in MI ?
    Reason I ask is why a V ?

Second thing is when Dealers are mentioned it seems some folks think a good dealer is a guy who answers there phone LOL.
    In my area, I have zero local support from any dealer, of any brand. None are open for storms, and most have zero plow techs who can fix anything.
    A good dealer in the Manufacturers eyes is one who sells lots of plows ! Dont trust them either for a recommendation. I have a friend with a brand new Boss, he has been to the areas TOP 4 dealers and his brand new XT-V is still broken and Boss said "What do you want us to do? "
    Hows that for service ?
    I know Fisher has the same BS policy's as well, so buyer beware !
    Make damn sure your dealer has replacement parts on the shelf. They can support you and your equipment, and Most important they have a PLOW TECH, not some snotty nosed kid in back throwing parts at it. Hate to say it, but most dealers now (all brands)dont stock parts, and can barely handle an install let alone fix the plows....