1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which snow box?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoBunny, Jan 18, 2007.

?

Which snow box do you recommend?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2007.
  1. Pro-Tech

50.0%
  2. Avalanche

28.6%
  3. Sno-Gator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other - If other, please post manufacturer

21.4%
  1. SnoBunny

SnoBunny Junior Member

We need a new 10' or 12' snow box for our Komatsu backhoe. Just wondering which manufacturer you recommend.

2. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

We have a 12 foot Avalanche on out JD Tractor and we love it. We've used it for about 3 years now and shes going strong still...We also have a couple of 10 foot high side pro techs that work awesome as well. Whatever you decide to go with, make sure you get the rubber cutting edge. They are are 2 sided so you can flip it over when one side starts to wear plus they scrape much better...

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Whats size hoe is it? Protech is the only way to go. Between me, my partner and subs. We have 8 protechs and 1 henke. Protech makes up 70% of the snow pusher market.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I voted pro tech even though i don't have one, only because everyone i know that uses pushers, uses pro techs

5. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

My choice would be a Daniels.

6. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Didn't vote because I don't have or use one but I can tell you Pro Tech seems popular around here. They must be doing something right.

7. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

my avalache pusher has treated me well. its was heavier built than the pro tech in 2000. the guys at protech were some helpful tho. i plow wood yards as well so i really needed something that could take the abuse. mine still is running strong with original paint. i would recommend either one but not a nock off.tymusic

8. SnoBunny

SnoBunny Junior Member

I heard the rubber wasn't all that great (Rips & tears) and to go with urethane because it will last four times longer. They will be working mostly commercial parking lots/boxes stores.

What's everyone else think?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  9. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

The rubber does rip and tear but its nice to be able to adjust it and flip it over for more use. We have used the same edge for 2 years on our avalanche. (its been flipped of course) My opinion is kind of biast because I have never used the metal or poly but we have been happy with the rubber edge.

10. mattthedrac

mattthedrac Junior Member
    from Canada

I'd go for the Avalanche unit. It costs a little more up front but it's going to stand up to abuse way better in my opinion. I've run both makes and the Avalanche has kept plowing after hits that would have put the protech out of action.

11. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Henke all the way !! The heaviest dutiest boxes I've ever seen and used.

12. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We just ordered 3 16' Scoop Dogg pushers from Michigan CAT. The demo units I looked at appeared to be a lot more heavy duty then protech and the others CAT had on the lot.

Here is the .pdf for the boxes I bought

http://www.clearpathproducts.com/snowdogg.pdf

note: they were also a bit cheaper then protech, perhaps I will find out why.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I saw them last week at Cat. they do look like they will hold up well. How much did they get for one of them if you dont mind me asking

14. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I got them at $3700 each because I purchased 3 and we also buy all our dozers from Cat.

I believe they retail at $4000-$4200.

15. Quality1

Quality1 Member

12' Sno Kontrol Box