1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which skid steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Aug 23, 2002.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I need an another piece of equipment, just signed the contract for a new trackless, and I decided a skidsteer will do what I need it to do push snow , load salt, pick up pallets. So which is the best? 1750 to 2000 lb lifting range.

PS the trackless( i'll sent pics in Nov when it's deliverd) is for a new sidewalk contract I was awarded. I'm looking forward to see how much snow a 110 hp 4x4 will move!

Bill

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

There is a lengthy thread at Lawnsite on this very topic, I believe in the Heavy Equipment section, but when I was shopping 3 years ago, I chose Cat. I feel their controls are much more convenient and easy to operate than the other brands' offerings.

I believe Bobcat might have a machine now with similar controls, but I haven't been able to try it. Their A220 All wheel steer model also sounds intriguing, I'd like to demo that machine as well.

I've operated my buddy's new New Holland 190 and didn't care for it and I ran a Gehl at our County Fair today, I think your wrists would be sore after a few hours of operation due to the awkward controls.

The Case XT series are pretty decent machines, but my Cat dealer is only 10 minutes away!

The Cat Models you'll be interested in from your specs are the 246, 248(high flow) and 252(vertical lift)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2002
  3. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We chose the Cat machine after looking at the others, I think that the Cat controls are much more user friendly and the machine just looked better all around, was a comparable price to all the other name brands and I think it will hold its resale value even more so, We went with the 226 model, with the narrow rims this machine is able to do regular town sidewalks with out a problem, and it is big enough to do other jobs, you may want to go with a larger machine since you already have something to do walks with, but we went with this one because this is our main sidewalk machine. Just my two cents

4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I'd like to get my hands on one of those Bobcats with the all wheel steer. I think it would be better for plowing because as you steer you aren't loosing traction. However I havent done more then looked at one of those yet.

On the other hand I run a Newholland Ls180 2 speed every day and I have no complaints. It's rated at 2200 lbs. but I've picked more. I unload trucks, move pallets and lumber quite bit with it, and plan to run it around the clock this winter in a plaza with an 11' plow. My only problem with oit was the door on the cab, the latch system wasnt designed very well.
    Casey

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Our Bobcat rep was out at the yard a week or so ago, to look at small cracks that are developing in the loader arms of our 863.

She was telling me about some of the changes in the new models, one of them was that Bobcat decided to switch from the Deutz engine to a Kubota for the new S line and A lines. According to her, they had a lot of input from the Bobcat dealer mechanics nationwide. The scuttlebut I get is that the Kubota is easier to work on, and more mechanics are familiar with the Kubota designs.

~Chuck

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd be willing to bet the Kubota is a bit less expensive than the Duetz too. Kubota is really taking the industry by storm, most diesel powered mowers now have Kubota engines, and they are building bigger units as well. The dealer that had the Gehl skid steer also sells Kubota tractors and had a 150 hp 4x4 unit on display.

7. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

nsmilligan-

I'd sure like to get a contract for plowing sidewalks. I just picked up a Brant sidewalk plow a couple weeks ago. I'm in the process of fixing it up. The carb needs some work, and we're trying to get the clutch free, but the machines all there.

It's currently 70% in primer and ready to be painted white and omaha orange.

Bryan

p8200019.jpg