1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which size plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Showmestaterida, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Called A company around here that sells used plows. Told him I was looking for a 9' for my 01 3500hd 2wd. drw He said that was a large plow to go with on that truck. Told him I didn't want to be running over snow. He says a 8 or 8'5 would work. Do large open lots with some obstacles. Have a 2000 2500 with 7'6 to get in tight spots. what do you guys think? Is 9' to big. Was all set on going with a 9' Western. Not sure.

2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Diesel or gas will be the first question that an answer is needed.

:)

3. snowconcepts

snowconcepts Member

I have 2 Westerns for sale 1 is the 9' pro and the other is 9' pro plus. The pro would be better for you. The pro plus is built really heavy and came off a Ford F450. I only have the plow end not the truck end I know of companies you can buy the truck mount, wiring and controller for around 800-1000 or I have seen them on here used .

4. Showmestaterida

6.5 TD. SSDIESEL intake. Just ordered ssdiesel 4' ss exhuast for it. Can't wait to bolt it up. Not really interested in the plow only. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't go any smaller than an 8.5 on a DRW. If it was my truck I wouldn't hesitate to run a 9' on it.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

ballast ballast ballast!

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep...forgot to mention that,good call mcw! :salute:

8. Showmestaterida

Going to go with 9' western. Also going to get a 8 ss airflow spreader with 10.5 Briggs for it. Load it up and have plenty of ballast.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sound's like a good decision, With plenty of ballast and operating the truck in mostly flat open area you won't be sorry for choosing the 9 footer. For your application,bigger is better.

10. Showmestaterida

Was thinking of even getting some wings for it. Coulnd't believe what that guy was telling me. I thought he might know something about plows and trucks. I think he was just trying to sell me something else that he had since he didn't have a 9.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's certainly not uncommon! :rolleyes:

12. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

Spreader Engine

Don't be a fool!By a Honda engine with that spreader.
    15 degree's at 2am the Briggs will fail most of the time.