1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which single stage snowblower??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by happy, Dec 7, 2014.

1. happy

happy Junior Member

looking for a toro single stage. We are running the 3650's, and they are the cats meow. I think they used to be the biggest single stage toro made. What models replaced the 3650? All the new toros are 4cycle, so no mixing of gas/oil, which I don't care because we mix 5gals at a time and it was no big deal. Do the new 4 cycle single stages have more power than the 2cycle ones? Opinions please. If anyone used to run the 3650's and now runs new toro 4cycles, PLEASE tell me what you think.

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

4. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I never ran the 3650's but run a 621EZ 4 cycle model. Great proformer for a single stage. Has no problem with 6 to 8" of snow. The only type it really struggles with is snow that has had salt applied and is that real mushy snow. Other then that I love it and will buy again. The new models have a 7 horse engine over my 6 horse too.

5. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

Try the Toro 721 single stage. Commercial unit extended wear paddles, larger engine displacement. We have a couple as the new 4 stroker's are nice units....

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I have the toro 721 power max two stage (old gas / oil version), which still works after 10+ years of use.

Last year, I bought the 926 power max, and it's a 4cycle (no mix) unit, and it has 10X the power of the 721.... which I thought was a great unit. It's amazing how / what that thing can go through. It will literally throw snow onto the neighbors roof if you point it correctly.... The downside is that if you're not careful, it will drag your arse all over the place, as no human (even Buff) has enough strength to stop that sucker in high gear if it gains traction.

Yeah.... you'll wind up on your face watching the snow blower drive off until the wheels stop turning from releasing your drive grip...

This isn't me, but it shows what it can do..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxqxq1ok4U

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

What's the weight of the 721? I have a big one and it's just too heavy. Can u hand lift these on and off truck?

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Why are we discussing 200lb and 262 lb 2 stage blowers when the op wants a single stage blower? The new commercial single stage toro is a great unit,some don't like the fact that you have no remote chute turner thingy and the chute handle sticks out a little when turned 90 deg.

9. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

Yes one man can lift the 721's on/off a truck, but they are heavier than the 2- strokes they replaced. I wouldn't want to lift them 25 times a storm, but they are much lighter than the Toro Snow Commanders they are replacing at my shop. Those big boys are a beast, and the best single stage ever produced IMHO.

10. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

My 621 is still pretty heavy and I am not a fan of lifting it in and out of the truck. So to help with this in my truck I stacked two cut down pallets where my walk behind spreader and my blower sits so they are closer to the top of the bed rails. Makes it a lot easier to put the unit in and out.

11. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

Lol..That is f**cking hillarious!!!

12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I have a dodge thats lifted 3" . no way im picking any blowers up, as this old human body wouldnt tolerate the back pain. I use aluminium ramps and drive it in and out of the bed. Not difficult at all, but there is a learning curve to it.

Sorry for the thread topic drift, but i was so impressed with my 926hd and its performance, i figured id throw out the option

Hard to go wrong with most toro products

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

OH man - I just saw this - if thats a 721, I'm getting one and will lift it with no problem! LOL

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Well as I was stating, I am interested in downgrading wright to a single-stage. I have a Husky 28in beast with ramps for the truck and it is just a stinking operation. I stopped using it.

The 721 is the only upgraded one? The 621 has no reinforced flaps etc?

15. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Check out the cab cadets. I switched over to them last year. Have 4 of the models with rapid turn and chute controls and lights. Super happy with them. Cheaper then the toro with the same warrenty. Also the new 3 stages kick but. We own 2 of them. They turn slush into water and throw it like it is coming out of a fire hose. Also have 1 finger steering.

16. AceRed

AceRed Junior Member

The 721's are hard to beat. The commercial grade motors are the same size this year as the non commercial ones.
    I'm a two cycle fan, but am deeply impressed how much better the new 721's blow compared to 5 year old 2 cycle.

17. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Same size as 721's?

18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

You saying they "upgraded the 621's to the 721 motors or downgraded the 721 which I am betting not. Also assuming 621 and below are not commercial grade

19. AceRed

AceRed Junior Member

The 721rc and 721r o721qzr all have a 212cc motor this year. Laat year the comercial unit rc had a bigger motor than the non comercial units.

20. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

just bought new honda single stage i have 2 toro 721 single stages and like them so i ll give an update soon as it snows here the reason i bought one is my dealer says the honda is much better ..