1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which shovel would be more effective?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by taxreliever, Jan 21, 2015.

1. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

I'm looking at the shovels on snowplow.com.

I'm trying to decide between the 36" snow grader and the 48" two handle shovel....if I get the 48", I'll have to manually angle it to avoid drifting snow off the sides, but will get more surface area than the grader cause the grader is only 36. I just like the idea of the grader on wheels and already angled, which will help when the snow is a little heavy.

I have a large paved driveway and parking lot, so on small storms or after plowing with the truck to scrape, these shovels are what I need....I'm currently using a home made 43" aluminum shovel with side ridges and love it....just need another one and haven't been able to get in touch with the guy who originally made it to make me another one. I am also thinking of finding someone local who does welding to make me one, but not sure if it'll be cost effective versus buying one of the ones mentioned above.

Thanks for any help.
  2. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

Oops...I apologize....this should be posted in the non-commercial forum.....I'm still new...thanks.
  3. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't get results from snowplow.com

I do however know people recommend the Snowplow pusher in the 30" size. Anything bigger is too hard to handle with deeper snows. HERE
    The MN Wild ice hockey team uses the 48" version to clear the ice on commercial breaks (like 12 of them) but that is a different deal all together.
  4. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

Thanks! If we get more than a few inches of snow, I would resort to my plow truck, but these wide shovels are awesome for 1) scraping after a plow and 2) clearing snow that's an inch or so.

I saw the youtube video of the hockey players scraping....pretty cool.
  5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

That big of a shovel would be good for clearing real light fluffy snow in 1 or 2 passes. I have one and they are the best shovel I've ever used.
  6. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

Thanks, that's awesome...which one do you have? The 48" two handle?