1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which Sander?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by oakhill2000, Oct 10, 2005.

1. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

Hey Guys, I am in the market for a new Stainlkess Sander for my truck. I am looking for a 2 yard sander for my 1 ton. I plow only commercially and have had a painted sander for 3 years. It was a downeaster, but I got sick of the scraping and painting every year. I am not sure if I want to get the Downeaster again, and was wondering if anyone had any info on some of the better brands out there. I have been hearing the brand "Buyers" alot, which I have heard of before. I just never thought they got into big sanders, I have seen the tailgate sanders they make and all the accessories for hitches and trailers, but wasn't sure on the larger sanders. I was also told they were the best price. I wasn't crazy about the Briggs motor on my last sander either but was also told it was nearly impossible to find a manufacturer that used Hondas. I guess because of the price. Let me know if any of you have any suggestions, or opinions on this. Thanks

Luke

2. slade

slade Senior Member

Western makes stainless steel v-box with a honda engine. I would like to get a 9' ss v-box with honda engine western next year.:)

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

4. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Check out the Torwell's. They are made right in Worcester, can be had with the Honda or Briggs engines. I have had 5 of them 2 cold rolled that rotted into oblivion an 3 stainless that just keep going and going and going.... They are a good design and require little maintenace other than cleaning, greasing,etc.....

6. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

thankyou everyone. I haven't gotten a price on a Fisher yet, but so far the buyers is the cheapest at 3600. But you get what you pay for as I can see when looking at them, besides the fact that it has a Techumse motor which I am not crazy about. I looked at the Torwel, and seemed to like that one the best. The Honda is just a little steep on the price, but this is to be expected. I am leary of the Briggs Intek because I have had one on a Blower and had nothing but trouble. I checked ou that electric one on line. The closest dealer in Salem Mass is a pretty good ride just to look at it so I would have to be sure I wanted to buy it. With all the F%$#@! Rain around here, I have plenty of time to research this. Thanks for all your advise.

Luke

7. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

Does someone out there actually own a Smith electric spreader? I am very interested, but also leary of an electric motor, I would just like to get an opinion on them from someone who actually uses it. Let me know thanks

8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

just sold my dump plow and sander on ebay.It had a 2yr old smith electric sander.made sure everything worked fine on sat,guy came sun morning to pick up the truck GUESS WHAT SANDER DIDN'T WORK.So we went out and got 3 new sno-way's with the briggs motors.I [knock on wood ]never had any problems with my briggs motors[run synthetic in them as well as mystery oil in the fuel].I think when i put a 07 together it is going to have central hydrolics

9. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

thanks. The only snoway dealer near me is in Peabody mass about an hour and a half away. If I ever had a problem with it it is a long haul. I like the idea of the flip up chute though so if I had to haul my Skid Steer to move snow around it wouldn't be a problem. Downeaster also makes a flip up chute, but again there are no local dealer. I really never had a problem with a Briggs until the 10 hp IC Intek I had on a blower before that they were great, and still are, as I still own some. But Honda is deffinatly more reliable.

10. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Downeast SS 1.5 electric. Make sure you keep the wire connections clean and tight. Three years no problems.

Gene

11. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

Gene, Thanks I was told that by the dealer also. The question I have would be does it draw alot of power. I have two batteries as I have a diesel, and a heavy duty altanator but I also have a plow drawing off that same power, It seems to me like it would have to draw alot of power to turn that motor. Let me know, thanks

Luke

12. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Luke,
    I have the same set up as you but have the standard altanator that comes on the Mitsi. I do mostly residential and only use about 1 yard of mix per event. I never shut of my truck once I start plowing and if the it looks like the batteries are getting low I just leave the truck running for a while after plowing. I went with the electric sander because I had friends that had too many problems getting the gas engins started. Its not a pretty picture trying to shovel sand from the sander in a storm.

Gene

13. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

As i said before we use the Torwell's. We run them w/o the chute extensions which gives us better coverage and makes it much harder to damage by backing into "stuff" because of being higher. It also allows us to tow with the sander on the truck.

Have you ever owned a sander before? My experience has been that with the 5 sanders I have owned that the most maintence intensive and problematic part of a sander is the electronics. They are constantly under assault by the salt not only from the material being spread but from the roadspray they are constantly being exposed to and no matter how much you wash them they still corrode. Why would you want to consider going with one that is electric powered?

14. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I was just looking into it thats all. I have owned a sander for 3 years and the thing that saw the most damage was the motor mostly the exaust. The wires I kept pretty clean. I also had a sander with no extention and I still couldn't tow with it on there. I want the extension because without it the truck gets a mess. Salt and sand get behind the lights and all under the truck. I even had a big mud flap behind the chute and it still managed to get behind and make a mess. I decided to buy a downeaster 2.5 yard Briggs with the extended chute, that also flips up for trailering. The Snoway and Downeaster both have that design. It is pretty cool. The chute actually hinges on one side and flips up out of the way for trailering. Not to mention it helps in cleaning it. Thanks for everyones help on this

Luke