1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which salter to buy?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I currently have a Meyers mini jr and it does ok at best. We just put a Sure-Flow vibrator on it and that made a world of difference! but the pattern it spreads is pathetic, after 1 full hopper laid down, it looks like we were never there. I cut the sheild back a bit and that seemed to help to spread the pattern out. My question is, is there a tailgate spreader that will spread bulk salt like a V box does? Question #2, how well do the poly hoppers with electric motors do? I need to lay down salt like a v box w/gas motor but would like to stick with a tailgate or something like a Salt Dog v box. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Snowex is very popular around here. I see many of the 1075 and 575 models around.. I am pretty satisfied with my 575. That is all I can tell you....

3. Brian Young

I was really thinking of getting a Fisher 1000 or 2000 (swing away) for next season but if its going to be kind of the same thing then I would invest the $$$ in a V box.

4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Why not get a salt Dogg or some other of bed-salter? I've got a Meyers Mate & I think it does about what you are saying. It seems to spread salt & de-icer pretty good, but w/ sand I can see a 12" trail behind me because it is too heavy to spread very far.

5. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

payup:yow!: Love Mine !!!!!! Works GREATpayup

IMG_1801.JPG

6. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Ditto on the Salt Dog!!!!!!! Works great no jams etc. Super tough box without rust issues. Will be purchasing more.

7. BobC

BobC Senior Member

LMG nice setup! I welded D rings a few inches up sidewall so they weren't in the way on floor so I could secure rear of sander pulling down and forward.

8. Brian Young

Well, I think I made my mind up. I think I am going with a Snowex 1875 (sander/salter), I havent seen this in action but it says it does what I need a tailgate spreader to do. I want to stick with a tailgate spreader only because if things dont work out between this guy and myself with bulk salt, I can still fill the hopper by hand. (he has a bobcat) and filling a v box by hand well, would be a ridiculous waste of time. Does any one else run one of these? and how does it spread?

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a SnowEx 1075. I love it. Works really well; I wash it after each use and touch it up with a little Rust-0leum and looks brand new. The only thing I would change would be that right when you turn it on, it stays at the 99 spreading speed for about 4 seconds, then goes to the speed that you set. Other than that, no complaints.

10. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Salt Dogg !!!!!!!!!!
    Or you could go with the Snow-ex, that costs more and the frame rusts...

11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder if that can be stopped by using a different controller.......my 575 does the same thing......But then again I find that 90% of the time I am spreading at 99 anyway....

D