1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which rear end do I have?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1977/85scottspecial, Aug 23, 2003.

1. 1977/85scottspecial

1977/85scottspecial Member
    from Indiana

I was told it was a dana 60 but it seems more like the corp 14 bolt rear. I was told it has 4:11 gears with a detroit locker, but I don't know what I am looking for. Tell me what you see guys, Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

It looks like you do have a posi in a 10 1/2" full-floating 14 bolt. On the side of the center section can you see the clutches in those recesses? If your axles bolt in on the ends it's a 10 1/2 ring gear. If they are held in by C-clips it's a 9 1/2" semi-floating rear. Both have a 14 bolt cover. Going to take mine apart tomorrow to install a posi. Just put engine - trans - X-fer in today, Ughh.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I agree with Rick. The Dana 60 and 70 have 10 bolts holding the cover on. Only the GM 14 bolt has 14 bolts holding the cover on.

~Chuck

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's not a Dana,definitely a 14 bolt.Hard to tell if it's a Detroit locker or not.

5. 1977/85scottspecial

from Indiana

I don't think it does have a locker in it. How can you tell?

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Jack up the rear wheels,and try to turn one side.If both wheels turn the same way,it has a locker\posi\limited slip.If the wheels turn the opposite way of each other,it is an open rear.

7. 1977/85scottspecial

from Indiana

When I went out and turned the wheel the other one didn't even move. Then I forgot the drvie shaft wasn't on and nothing was holing the pinion. So I held that and spun the wheel and they go opposite ways so I guess he lied about the locker in there. Thanks

8. Rick Loncosky

from 17557

Can you take a close up picture as the 1st one, on the ring gear side. I have a posi that I'm going to install and it sure looks like the one you have. On that tapered part going toward the ring where those pairs of holes are, can you see a little piece that looks somewhat like the letter ("M" or "W") depending how you view it? Can you also see a criss - cross pattern of another in the same holes? A good close up picture would help tell. :D Just trying to help. Rick

9. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I've never seen one, but that could also be a Gov-Loc... no? I had a gov-loc (aka GOV-BOMB) in my 99 chevy 2500. It acted as an open diff until it noticed enough speed differential between the tires (some sort of pendulum, I think) and locked 'em up. Anyway- wouldn't that unit act as an open in the spin-one-wheel test?

Detroit- doubtful, but possibly not open

-Derek

10. Rick Loncosky

from 17557

Hey!:realmad: Don't say Gov-Bomb! I think that's what I have, and going to install in my 77 K20. What's up with these? My brother in law has a 1988 C10 with a posi. I put new axle seals in for him and the smaller unit is completely different than what I see on my center section. I do see a small tab in a recess where the ring gear is going to bolt on, is that what you were calling a pendulum? I tried to attached a picture but they said it was too big?

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Gov-loc actually uses a cone clutch type setup,whichdoesn't lock up until it senses a speed differential between the two wheels.They aren't a bad unit,if treated normally.They do not like to be abused.

12. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I got "gov-bomb" label from a guy at auburn- it's fun. As long as you understand how they engage, they work great. I had my chebby on three wheels more times than I care to remember, and that GOV-BOMB got my butt out of trouble more than once. I would just give it enough gas to spin the airborne (or otherwise traction-inhibited) tire, and bounce the brake a little. After a few times it would lock and I'd be on my way. The other way to lock it is to mash the stupid pedal till it grabs... GOV-BOMB! Mine was a '99 and it would creak and moan as it locked, but once it grabbed, it was pretty tight- felt "locked". It's a good traction-adder, you just have to be nice to them and know how to use them.

Will a gov-loc slide through the "spin-one-wheel" test as an open?

Edit: Sorry- forgot about the 'pendulum' I was mistaken, but if I remember correctly there's some small part that dismisses itself from its intended position in a harsh engagement, then tumbles around, causing all sorts of havoc.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2003
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

It will allow one wheel to turn for a bit,and then it should start to lock up.I also think the opposite wheel does not turn at all,unlike an open rear which goes the opposite way.It's been a while since I've played with a Gov-loc,so don't hold me to that info.

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

HEHE. Mine did BOMB. :yow!: Big time.

That little dog or whatever decided it didn't like where it was, so it decided to pop out, through the inspection cover. $1300 later, I had a new Eaton LSD installed. normally I'd do the install myself, but I'm not confident in myself enough to do gears...yet anyway.

15. Rick Loncosky

from 17557

I'm looking for new brake drums for my K20 also. They measure 11 5/32 X 2 3/4 X 5 3/8 tall. I just saw a pair that measure the same except they are 6 1/2 tall. Does anyone know anything about these two heights? I'm going shopping Friday in hopes I can find some new ones.

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

Some drums had a longer cooling fin area that stick out over the backing plate.The shorter drums should still work,as long as the axle flange to braking surface distance is the same.

17. Rick Loncosky

from 17557

Does anyone have the codes for rears of trucks like Chevelle's & Camero's? I got this off my K20 - RFZG 2442. If anyone can help, that would be great.
    On the drums question again. The part of the drum that goes against the axle flange, actually the hub, of these other drums were at least 1/4" to 5/16" thick nowhere near mine at about 1/8". Maybe they were off a 9 1/2 semi - floating rear, so I left them go.

18. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

It does look like a detroit locker in there. It's a 14bff for sure.

19. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sounds like they were from a semi-floating rear.