1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which pusher for John Deere 5420

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MetroTurf, Oct 28, 2007.

1. MetroTurf

MetroTurf Junior Member

Ok we have a John Deere 5420 on the farm that I would like to put to use this winter with a snow pusher on the local wal-mart parking lot. What pusher do you guys recommend?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is a 5420 65 hp (pto). Is the pusher going to be on the loader or a sub frame? If you can mount a 10 ft on the quik tach of the loader that would be fine. I don't like bucket mounts for farm loaders , it puts the blade out to far.

3. MetroTurf

MetroTurf Junior Member

Yes the 5420 is 65 hp. I don't know what kind of pusher I need. I have never been around one and there are none in my area. I am open to all suggestions.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

http://www.horstwelding.com/snow_items.php?id=106 This is a great pusher for a farm loader. It has a steel trip edge. Protech also has a light duty one. Some guys might run a 12 ft on that, but it's a little much IMO. If it's not on the loader a 12 ft might be alright with the right operator.

5. MetroTurf

MetroTurf Junior Member

Any clue on what a 10ft pusher will run price wise?

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

https://www.centralparts.com/Equipment/Snowpushers/Skid-Steer-Models/ This gives you an idea of price, you'll have to change the Quick tach plate to match your loader or change your loader to the universal SS quick tach. You will have to register on that site to look at prices.

7. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I would agree that a 10 ft would be about right. Having the box out front on a loader we actually like it seems to float over the terrain, also you can stack the drawback is that tractor loaders are very weak and a box out on the front of them can really get them twisting

8. MetroTurf

MetroTurf Junior Member

The tractor is actually a 5320 but I am hoping a 10ft pusher is still about right.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Everythings the same I think, you won't run out of power pushing snow, you generally run out of traction with a tractor.

10. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Metro turf i guess the tractor is a fwa

JD do you load the tires with calcium, how much does it help, what helps more wide rubber or loaded rubber, the reason i ask is i am worried about the 6010 getting shoved off to the side since it sticks so far out there?

11. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

All the tractors we use are MFD and yes we run fluid in the tires plus we usually add weight anywhere we can JDave is right you never run out of power always traction tractors are light compared to their hp they are designed to have something behind them hunkering into the ground to aid in traction

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Like Snowlord said, you have to have weight of some kind on the rear of a loader, wheel weights, calcium or a 3 point hitch weight like Big Red. Calcium is the cheapest and the best untill you get a flat. They have this new stuff made from Molasses or something, that doesn't rust anything and is enviromentally friendly but I've never used it.

13. MetroTurf

MetroTurf Junior Member

I was quoted $1763 for a 10ft ProTech does this sound about right?

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds good.