1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which product would be best???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Makndust, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

My partner runs an ATV plowing walks and small lots. He has been approched this year to apply ice melting material to walks. We are trying to decide which products or combinations of products are the most economical/effective. He has a 100LB spinner mounted on the back of the ATV to spread the material. What combinations of products do you guys use? All imput is appreciated.

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

i use good ol' fashion rock salt

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I don't think rock salt is a great idea on concrete walks. Ice melter or other similar brands would be the way to go. It is more $$$. That is the downside. Just bill more for the extra cost.

4. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I use 50# bags of "calcium chloride flake" on the sidewalks through a walk behind spreader. I joined this forum to learn more about de-icing techniques . THere are probably cheaper and or better salts to use , i'm just telling you what i have used for years.

5. Chip Ice

Chip Ice Junior Member

How old is the concrete?

I just found this forum and have to say it looks like a great resource.

I work at a ski resort and when we don't have to deal with Mother Nature's snow and ice, we go ahead and make our own.

From what I understand, concrete less than a year old is very sensitive to certain ice melting chemicals. We would like to use pelletized calcium chloride everywhere, but on newer concrete that absolutely has to be treated we spray an antifreeze liquid from the same type of backpack sprayers you would use for spraying RoundUp or what have you. The solution is basically similar to car antifreeze, it has a very high alcohol or glycol content. It can be diluted, but the barrels that we get are actually marked Flammable so it is obviously more than 50% alcohol.

One fellow I talked to who lays down concrete sidewalks for a living explained that the 'glaze' or top layer of the concrete does not truly become resistant to chemicals for as long as a year, so throwing down calcium chloride or other ice melt chemicals can seriously damage the concrete.

If the concrete is older than a year, then I would go for pelletized calcium or magnesium. It provides temporary traction, unlike the flakes, and if you've got a crew out throwing the stuff you'll find that they will be more efficient throwing pellets than flakes. It's also easier when you go behind them, when you use pellets you can see who is throwing too heavy/light, and who's drunk and throwing it all over the place.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  6. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

The only product that is Federally and FAA approved for -2 year old concrete is 100% CMA. It will not attach the concrete or the rebar.

Most other ice melters have chlorides and most are sodium based.