1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which power wing plow seems to be the best?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scottr, Feb 5, 2014.

1. scottr

scottr Senior Member

I understand this might be a pandora's box, like asking what motor oil you like of brand name of truck............But, I havent been keeping up over the last few years, I know DD owns and builds the Blizzard, Fisher, Western. Does one seem to be the favorite amongst the group on this site?
    I'm looking for a large heavy plow with power wings. I beleve they all have plusses and minuses.
    Educate me :help:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

We have our first expandable plow this year, western wideout.

Have no real concerns about it, fast hydros, built tough very efficient

Wont get anything else for commercial work.

3. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Deff WIDEOUT!!!!
    It take all the Blizzard had 2 offer n made it BETTER and its a chain lift, so its always better in case of any emergency…. Jus runn the plow up a pile n chin it up and Go!!!
    Had mine almost 3 yrs now, and after the first event with her, I will never plow without a W/O…
    Thats my .02.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Does anyone run a Fisher XLS?

I'm leaning towards one for our next plow, main reason being is the trip edge design.

I've run both styles of plows and the trip edge seems to be superior in scraping hard pack and ice.

5. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

Been interested in this as well. Tempted to drop the hat this fall on the Sno Way 10 footer Revolution HD. Couple people in town are using them commercially and love'em.

6. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

How does the wideouts rubber cutting edges do? I heard it doesn't scrap like a blizzard be chase the 810 is all steel cutting edges. I know you can change edges but that's more $ on top of a really expensive plow. I salt everything I plow so getting as much snow off the pavement saves me $ for salting

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I have personally been running an XLS on my pickup for the last 3 years. I love everything about it, no complaints.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

9. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Our wideout is a monster

10. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Boss here. They never have let me down. Bullet proof hydraulics.

11. Akost15

Akost15 Junior Member
    from PA

Fisher XLS all the way. super fast, heavy build and trip edge is great. No problems with the rubber edges not cutting through or making hard pack either. Blows are other v plows away. Love the Fisher line and wouldn't buy anything else

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Your Wideout is 14 Gauge, Snowdogg is 12. That makes a big difference.

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Boss doesn't have one....

I'd go for wideout just because of chain and trip

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Was just looking at the specs and it looks like we'll be going with a blizzard if we get a winged plow.

Though I don't want to loose the trip edge from a fisher, Blizzard is the only one that offers a winged plow for a medium duty truck and we'll be putting it on a dump.

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Im with you I wonder if I get the Fisher mold board on a western frame

16. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Sorry. Thought power wing meant a Vplow.

17. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Didn't know snowdogg made an expandable plow. Never shopped for snowdogg stuff, never wanted to. On our 4th year with the wideout and haven't replaced a thing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

What dealer is close to you?

I love V plows.. I want 2 more

19. breadfan

breadfan Junior Member

We have had electrical and hydro problems with our wideouts.

20. scottr

scottr Senior Member

You guys with the wideouts, does that one have the center pivot that allows the blade to follow the contour a little? They have it on their other plows, looked like a week spot. Are you seeing wear?