1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snowman7, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Snowman7

Snowman7 Member
    from WI

I have a 06 GMC 2500 CC SB Diesel looking to buy a plow for it. I am going to be doing mostly residental drives this year but want something that I can do commercial lots to if wanted. What size plow is best for residental drives? boss snoway or blizzard?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to plowsite and your question has been asked many times already this year....READ or use the SEARCH button.
    Dealer service and support is MORE important then brand.

3. Snowman7

Snowman7 Member
    from WI

Thanks,
    I have done some research. My local dealer sells all three blizzard, sno way and boss. I have been leaning towards the Sno way 29HDW with the ez switch wing option. I am thinking the 7'6" plow with the option of the wings would be good. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with the sno way 29hdw plows?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 7.6 on a CC/SB is too narrow. Need an 8 ft minimum...wings or not.

5. Snowman7

Snowman7 Member
    from WI

My local dealer recommended a 7'6" for doing residential drives but I still want something big enough to do commercial lots.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does your dealer plow residentials with a 7.6 on a CC/SB? If so take a look at the mirrors on his truck. You'll likely find that there aren't any.

More plow help you to keep the truck out of the landscaping and on the drive where it should be.

7. Snowman7

Snowman7 Member
    from WI

Very true... I bet he sells a ton of mirrors too. Do you have any experience with sno way plows with the wing system?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If he sells mirrors then that certainly explains his recommendation. :D

The verdict is still out on the Revo plows (I assume thats what you're asking). Many issues with them during their beta season last year caused much unassuredness toward them for this coming season. Only time will tell if they have the bugs worked out.

9. Snowman7

Snowman7 Member
    from WI

I am not positive what you mean by the revo plow. The one I am looking at is the 29 hdw series are we talking about the same thing?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, the Revolutions have the hydraulically actuated wings. Different animal. Revolution blade

An 8 ft 29 with a set of their 9" slip on wings would be a great fit with good flexibility for your application. And I think like many you'll find that once you use the wings you'll discover how useful they are and you'll seldom remove them.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

the 7'6" 29 hdw with a set of 45 degree scoops is nine foot. plenty for the truck with the wings but seriously too small with out them (the wings.) I suggest an 8 ft plow for the times when you want to remove the wings for a little more "wiggle" room.

Be sure your dealer has the wings in stock. I have been waiting for delivery for a while now . Snoway has not managed to get them to the distributors yet so unless he has last year's stock they may be a while coming.

12. Snowman7

Snowman7 Member
    from WI

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards a 8' and now feel much better about it. Has anyone had issues with the wireless controller for the sno ways?

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If it's the new pro control (the one with all the useless buttons) it has no track record yet. Seems to work well once you figure out with button to use and the 12V power jack rechargeable battery is a good idea. Thjis years model with the back lit buttons is much better then last years.

The "old" wireless seems to work well in most vehicles. Ask your dealer if you can trade it in for a wired if there are issues with your truck or route. Some guys have found that Wi-Fi and other wireless units can sometimes override the SW transmitter. Other issues are internal installation with-in the vehicle itself that seems to act as a blocker. Certain positions in the cab are "dead zones."

14. Snowman7

Snowman7 Member
    from WI

Basher yes its the new pro control. I will confirm with my dealer that I can trade it in if there are issues with it. I am going to call the dealer today to get the price on the 8' plow with wings.

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure if I posted to this thread or not. ;) :rolleyes:

Might not want to put too much trust in that dealer. B&B and basher answered already, but 7'6" is too small for any full size truck IMO.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Insert stick, stir:yow!:

17. Snowman7

Snowman7 Member
    from WI

Talked to dealer today and 8' is $107 more than the 7'6" plow. Its a no brainer...

18. fourthcoastcont

fourthcoastcont Junior Member

go with a fisher V plow

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Because you've experienced the negatives of an expanding wing plow?

Also noticed, the OP didn't ask about Fisher, just Boss, Blizzard or SnoWay.

But thumbs up for not bringing beer into the discussion.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sorry Charley, Largest thing Fisher allows is a 7'6"HD. That's the trouble with those dang boat anchors, they're so darn heavy;)