1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by h2bhumble, Sep 12, 2009.

1. h2bhumble

h2bhumble Junior Member
    from mass

I have a 2005 GMC 1500 with a 5.8. I am in the process of purchasing a Fisher plow but have been told everything from a 7.5 ft HT to an SD, even an HD. I explained that I would being doing residential, but maybe a small commercial if the opportunity was to come my way. Nothing to big, just a small lot. The last dealer said that the SD would be better due to it's increased weight and the HD frame. He said the HD would be to heavy for the truck. Another dealer suggested the HD due to it's trade in value and it's popularity, he said the 1500 can handle that plow in a 7 1/2 foot size. He did suggest getting the Timbrens, he said that would keep the front end up with the plow on it, as well as take some of the strain off the suspension. So, as you can see, it can be confusing, what do you suggest?

Thanks for your input

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

1500 truck if you want to install a Fisher check out the HT.

3. h2bhumble

h2bhumble Junior Member
    from mass

Thanks

Do you think the HT is strong enough for small commercial jobs?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

While it's a new unit it supposedly has been well tested. The hydraulics are a proven system from the homesteader. If you are looking for a trip edge it's the best offering in the class. If you are not concerned with the trip edge the snoway 26 series and Boss mid weight are other alternatives they are also direct lift and the Snoway offers Down Pressure.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What cab/bed is your truck? Reg cab is better for a heavier blade. As for HD having more value than an SD, I disagree. SD/RD plows are few and far between, at least around here. Are you considering upgrading trucks soon? If so, to what, and how soon.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the HT personally. The steep angle of the cutting edge scrapes better than anything out there (except your beloved Sno-Way basher), and the trip edge is hard to beat.

6. DBCC186

DBCC186 Junior Member

I am buying the Fisher HT seies plow and also doing Timbrens. I have an 02 Silverado EC 4X4 1500. I am going to add a second battery as well.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I can think of a few out there that are not Lexan or SS that do.

Not store bought though. :cool: :D

8. h2bhumble

h2bhumble Junior Member
    from mass

I just actually bought this truck, so I won't be upgrading anytime soon. It's just that the lit. on the SD says no commercial. the dealer says thats because Fisher doesn't want the liability. He said that the SD can more than handle small commercil jobs. By the way, my truck is an extended cab. I just want to make sure that if the truck can handle the HD I would prefer to get that.

9. h2bhumble

h2bhumble Junior Member
    from mass

Not to sound niave, but what exactly is the second battery for?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

to run the DVD player, big screen TV and cappuccino maker:D:D

Actually it's to provide additional amp hours so your unit does not slow down due to lack of power.

Before I added a separate battery I'd increase the size of the charge wire from the battery to the alternator, and increase the size of the existing battery. If you do add a second battery you need to install two new batteries. you should never mix an old battery and a new battery. do a search on "adding a battery" you'll learn more then you want to know. Remember AMP HOURS are more important then COLD CRANKING AMPS for plowing purposes

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

True

FALSE
    With the timbrens, the tires still carry the same weight, your ball joints still carry the same weight, your tie-rod ends still have to turn the tires with the same weight on them.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I know that. You just had to show me up didn't you:mad:

13. h2bhumble

h2bhumble Junior Member
    from mass

I'm leaning towards the SD because of the chain lift. I plowed many years ago, and for some reason, the chain lift always seems better.

14. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Well, glad to hear Im not the only.... [​IMG]

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That is a very disputed subject, particularly for lighter plows and vehicles.

16. h2bhumble

h2bhumble Junior Member
    from mass

I do like the lock down of the HT for backdragging. You can also match your frame to the controller, so if it ever gets stolen it won't work.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you sure?:gunsfiring:

I would buy the HT over the SD personally. While the lock down is not quite as effective as true down pressure, it's definitely better than a chain lift for backdragging.

And it's very possible that in the future, in a galaxy far far away, someone will figure out how to put down pressure on that HT.

One negative thing I heard about the HT, from my dealer, is that they only put one "kickstand" on it. You might ask if they can put one on the other side too.

18. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Ive yet to see an argument about that on here :rolleyes:

19. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

If your in Mass and want a trip edge plow with a chain lift and a quick connect,
    Take a look at this;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is a refirbished 7.5' Diamond trip edge plow with the MD II quick connect plow. It has a Remanufactured E60H pump done by a very reputable Meyer Dealer, new hoses, couplings, power harnesses, headlamp modules , lighting harness, and, soleniod. Touch pad control, and 05 1500 GM frame brackets $2750 cash & carry installation is available for extra fee.

Jay
    508 753 6617

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not at all, just wanted to refresh your memory. :drinkup: