1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which plow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by oakhill2000, Jan 11, 2003.

1. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I would normaly post this in the plow question section but I would rather ask it among those who have the same taste in trucks. I just bought a 2002 Chevy 1 ton Dump and was trying to decide what plow to put on it. I currently have a 96 GMC with an 8' Boss on it and have no problems. I won't be getting a plow for the dump until this coming summer but I am stuck between buying another Boss or getting a new Fisher 8' HD. Everyone around this area pretty much has fisher but I see a few Meyers and Boss's. Just wanted to get some other opinions on the plows. Please give me your insight.

Thanks
    Luke Anderson
    Oakhill Landscaping

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Both are good plows.I would recommend going with a plow that you can easily get parts and service for.If most guys are running Fishers,that might tell you something.

I'd also go a little wider,8 Ft is a little small for a 1 ton,especially if it's a dually.8 Ft won't even cover your tire tracks.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I like to keep the same plows,only because it makes stocking spare parts easier,and diagnostics are easier,you only need to know one system,but Id get a 9 ft plow for a dump truck,just so you dont hit your westcoast mirrors on things that clear your plow,,and to cover your tracks in turns.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  4. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

I had a fisher on my old truck and didn't like it. Did a lot of research for my new one and ended up going with a western. Of course i probably don't use my equipment in the same application as you will, but just my .02

5. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

thanks

Thanks for your advise, Someone else told me around here to go with a 9' because an 8' wouldn't cover my tracks but the only thing is I do quite a few residential accounts so I think a 9' would be a bit too big for some driveways. I wouldn't bother with the residential but I just started two years back and it will take a while to build up some more commercial accounts. So I need the residential to make the money. I havn't decided weather I am keeping the Boss or not but if I do then I will deffinatly get a 9' and just use the boss for driveways.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

How about an 8.5'? Thats the size "in between" 8' and 9'. Also in the 8.5' size, you can get a V-plow too from either Western or Fisher. Mike

7. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

8.5 Western

Oakhill- I have a 99 Chevy 1 ton DRW with a 12' dump body. I put a 8.5 Western on it and have been very happy. I use it for a few small commercial lots and the larger residential driveways. It has been a good truck for us. Just really don't like the Uni-mount set-up, love the Ultramount though! Good luck, Mike

8. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Plow to run.

I would run a Blizzard.

Just a thought.

Hope I helped?

9. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I wasn't aware they had an 8.5' I knew they had a 7.5' so I will deffinatly look into that, That will probably be what I will do. Still not sure on the brand yet though. They have Blizzard at a dealer near me where they carry Boss. I havn't heard much about them, are they an6y good? I don't think I would want to spend the money for a v-plow and I really don't think I need one anyway, just more moving parts which means more to go wrong.

dscn0448.jpg

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Nice truck! Very nice truck!! What motor and trans in that baby? I love that 01, 02HD frontend look. Mike :drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  11. John DiMartino

Very nice truck,oakhill. I used to run a 7,5 ft fisher with wings,even on the residentials,it was 9ft 2" wide with wings,if anything the extra width helped me, I never had to take them off.I now run a 9'2" Boss V,and again,its never been to big,some of my drives are 10 ft wide only.After have the V plow I wont buy another straight blade,except maybe the blizzard with scoopable wings.No more chasing the last bits of snow around when cleaning up.

12. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have heard good things about Boss plows. Some people around here have Fisher, but Western's are the most popular. I agree, as stated above a couple of times.. go with where you can get parts. Boss maybe a better plow in someones mind, but if the only Boss dealer is 1 hour away, how long will it take to get to them with snow on the roads?? Just a thought. I'd stick with a dealer that's close by

13. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I would run a 9ft plow on that truck. It's better if the plow clears the widht of the truck with a little room to spare rather then being to short and having your tires in the snow.
    Just my opinion.

14. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

Thanks. I love the truck, it is better than the 92 GMC I had. That thing was falling apart and it only had 75,000 on it but it was a town truck before I got it so it wasn't taken care of. The new truck has a 6.0 in it. I am not sure on the trany but it isn't an allison. I wish. I wanted a diesel but they are about 4 to 6 grand more because of the motor and allison trany. This one has enough power to do what I want any way. I am not pulling a big boat or machine around. I just have a 16' landscape trailer that I put a small Kubota on and that is the most weight I will pull so the 6.0 is big enough. I am thinking about the v-plow now but still not sure but decided to deffinatly go with 9' thanks for all the advise. The boss dealer is the closest to me that carries Curtis and Blizzard as well and there is a meyer dealer pretty close by as well. The Fisher dealer is about a half hour ride but I don't mind driving. So possibilities are endless as far as what brand to get, I just have to decide but I am deffinatly not going with a curtis and I don't think I want a Meyer either. I like the Boss because of my lack of problems with it but I know many people with Fisher as well who love them and thats pretty much all I see.

15. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Plow to run.

I suggested the Blizzard plow only because it carries 25% more snow than a vee blade, and 50% more snow than a conventional straight blade.

If that was my vehicle I would outfit it with a Blizzard 8611 plow and create more revnue for myself by the time savings the Blizzard delivers.

Trucks are not cheap, my new Ford cost me $40k and on top of that I spent $11k on a plow system.

So spend the little money on a Blizzard, save yourself some time, create some more revenue, and make that truck payment.

Just my two pennies.
    :eek:

16. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If you've had good personal experience with Boss, why change?
    my only queation would be straight or V blade. Also you should have a 4L80E trans in that truck, same as mine. good transmission. Only recomendation...change the fluid at 30K-40K miles instead of 50K like owners manual says. 30K especially if you plow alot. With good fluid in the trans, it'll see a lot of plowing before it needs any work

17. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Jon Geer, you have an 11k plow setup? Why so much? What kind and what size? Any pictures? Mike

18. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

I see alot of Western's, Boss's and Blizzard's put on trucks like that around my area. They seem to like the 9'0 v-plow and straight blade. That is a sharp truck, like the front end look of those style the best. I'm sure it will pay for itself soon, alot of construction contracters use that style around here for new home cleanup, landfill hauling and landscaping. Hope that I helped!! Bring on the snow, Hawkz

19. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

Like Mike I would like to know what you got Jon Geer that you spent 11 grand on? I would spend 3 or 4 but no more. Thanks for the advise SnowMatt13 on the Tranny. I will deffinatly do that. It doesn't quite have 1000 miles yet so I have a ways to go. I just got it in december. I am going to either get a Fisher or Boss but not sure wether to get a V or no V. What do you guys run for lights? I was thinking of getting strobes for my parking lights. Either that or a dual strobe light bar on the roof. GM already wires the roof with aux lights with the plow prep package so I may go with that. Right now I have a mini magnetic strobe that I run through the ex cab window on my 96 and plug into the cigarette lighter

20. John DiMartino

I run strobes in the marker lights,just make sure whoever puts them in weatherproofs all the connectors.As for the plow,if you do any lots that require the snow to be pushed to the ends only,where it cant be cast to one side,Id get a V plow.And Id get at least a 9 ft for that truck.The V plow makes you more prductive,without a doubt,it also makes road traveling much less stressfull,with both sides of the plwo tucked tight to the truck,its safer,winds do nto affect you as much,and the truck runs cooler with a V.