1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fess, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Fess

Fess Junior Member
    from Boston

Hi guys,

I am in need of some assistance - I have plowed for 3 years using a 2004 chevy colorado with a small snoway plow on it. I did very well with it and grew my business to 1 parking lot and approx. 25-30 residential driveways.

This year due to starting a landscaping business last year have upgraded my truck to a 2005 ford f250 V10 superduty.

I am in search a new plow and I am confused. There are so many options out there and I don't want to buy a plow that I won't be happy with. I liked the snoway but found it to be a pain in the a** to get the pins to line up and snap in.

What are your recommendations and also what size is recommended? What about the V plows?

Thank you.
  2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

fisher x-blade

if you are doing mainly residential you dont really need a V plow.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I love my Sno-Way V. Once you go V you will never go back to a straight blade.
    use a floor jack to help line-up the pins.
  4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Go BOSS.... with the fast and easy hookup you will be very happy.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss v plow or the Sno-Way v plow will do go for you.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you've been using DP you won't be happy with-out it. Go with the new SW:nod: the new design is the best of the Snoway combined with the best of the Boss with a slick new Fisher type mount system SWEEET
  7. Michael M

Michael M Member

Find a shop that is close for repairs first. You don't want to drive two hours in the snow for service. YES, you have to this about a brand new plow breaking.

BOSS 7'6 or 8' Trip edge, the best plow on the market, hands down.
    Fastest hookup, no bouncing when you drive, you can stack snow high.

Either way wether its a straight blade or v-plow you can't go wrong with a BOSS.
  8. Fess

Fess Junior Member
    from Boston

Thanks guys...I appreciate the feedback. I am in research mode but all of this info is real helpful. The one things that was confirmed was the few plows I am looking at all got good recommendations, Fisher, Snoway and BOSS.

Thanks again.
  9. Fess

Fess Junior Member
    from Boston

Hey Michael - I got a price for a BOSS straight blade $4195 installed, is this reasonable? I got a price for an 8' Fisher Xblade around $5k -
  10. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Boss all the way! I love it! My plow was three months out of warranty and they still covered it! I would shop around for a price. I got a great deal on my last plow. Just work with the dealer, if they are not willing to deal. Then do you really want to work with them anyway?
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You really ought to go back to the dealer that warrantied your "to old" plow. Give a little back.
  12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

as long as that dealers price is kinda in the same ball park.... remember if you have problems with this new polw, that dealer may help you again....
  13. fireside

fireside Senior Member

look around and see what everybody in your area is using. That will tell you about dealer support in your area for those brands. It comes down to your opion as to whats the best. I use all blizzard plows i have 5 total. The parts are all the same and very easy to fix if needed. i stock lots of parts ( local dealer sometimes borrows parts if he runs out and replaces it later )and all repairs are do in house. We also great dealer support in my area.
    fisher meyer and western parts are easy to find every were here so that helps in a bind
    most of the brands are very close in price so happy shopping
  14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i like my 8.2 BOSS V. i havent needed any dealer support so i cant relate to that. but my plow is kinda old to be serviced at a dealer anyway.

i dont think i could use a a straight blade permanently now, ive been spoiled by my V. i have a few very if'y drives that without a V i dont think they could be done, such as 300ft 30deg incline hairpin with 3 foot snow drifts on the bottom end.

GO BOSSwesport
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:confused:to OLD for dealer support??
  16. Michael M

Michael M Member

Yes, that is a very good price. I paid a little less in Merrimack NH. It may not be worth it for you to drive that far. I almost bought an X-blade, I am so happy I didn't.
    I couldn't justify paying that much more for a plow that wasn't as good as the BOSS.

BOSS all the way.

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i meant warranty work, sorry. but it is hard to track down parts for it. its an early version V with the chain lift.
  18. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

I love my boss. the v will absolutely spoil you instantly. I plow three fast food resturaunts with tight drive thrus and there is no possible way to get through with any other plow. It also makes it so much nicer cleaning up a parking lot. The guys I plow with have two boss' and two myers and we can plow circles around the straight blades. And the new cutting edges with the curb guards are a must too, they save a lot of abuse to the moldboard and it wears real good. Plus i can hook up in a minute or two.