1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

Ok i am wondering

I have a 1999 ford explorer and i am currently looking at a 1998 ford f250 super cab with the 5.4 ltr engine 4x4 of course Same witht he explorer it is a 4x4 four door

I am selling the explorer

If i can't sell the explorer then i will put a plow on it! I am thinking about which plow to use the homesteader has down pressure and is the only one recomended for my explorer. So i am thinking about getting this plow as i am only going to be doing res drives this year.

If i get the f250 then i will be getting a 8' plow.

I am not sure what to do if i can't get the f250 and have to keep the explorer what kind of recomendations would you suggest?
  2. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

do you owe on the explorer? if not then why not get the 250 and 8' plow and let the explorer sit til it sells? or do you need the money from the sale to get the pickup?
    I dont know how well a explorer would hold up to plowing anyhow. might be a short season for ya. jmo.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Homesteaders do not have an actual "down pressure". They only have the ability to "lock" the blade in the down position once you lower it to the ground, hence Fishers term "Scrape lock"

They do not continually "push" the blade into the ground like a plow with actual DP....like a Snoway for example. A Snoway can continuously provide hyrdo pressure as the plowing surface and grade changes, providing an actual down pressure continuously.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Explorer will plow just as well as a Ranger. IMO
    I would recommend a Sno-Way with the Lexan blade for less weight.
  5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

If you are going to plow with the explorer, go with a snoway. I looked into putting one on mine before I got my Silverado and it was the best buy out of any of them. Plus, if your only gonna be doing resi's this year, try and get a used one if your going to try and get a truck for next year. It might not even be worth it this year, do the math and see if you should wait til next season.
  6. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

i need to sell the truck to get the next truck!

What type of truck would you guys recomend that i can get for cheap and would be alright for at least a season or two till i can save more money for a newer truck?
  7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

go on craiglist, type in plow. Get whatever p.o.s. you can that is still in good enough condition to register and be somewhat reliable.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Cheap and plowing do NOT go together or work well.