1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cobraman, Sep 9, 2007.

1. cobraman

cobraman Member

I have an 06 F150 4x4 V8 gas Super Cab 5 1/2 foot bed. I live in N. Illinois about 10 miles from the WI border. I have about 60 + feet of horseshoe driveway. What plow would be good for this truck? I might as well use it to pull out some other driveways in the neighborhood to pay for the darn thing too.
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

See if you can find a 7'6" Western uni-mount. It is an older plow, but many people still use them religously. I have picked them up at car dealers that strip them off trucks for as cheap as $600 w/ mount and wire harness.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7'6" Snoway 26 series
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Any brand of plow as long as it is 71/2' wide. Sno-way is a great plow and very lightweight. Check Ebay for good deals on used plows. For what little plowing you plan on doing a new plow is very pricey.
  5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

The previous posters are right about getting a 7.6. Don't get the 8 ft. as it will most likely be too heavy for your truck. Also, just in case you are unaware, you will need to put ballast in the back of your truck to counter the plow weight. Different people use different amounts of ballast depending upon the type of truck they have. I would suggest you use ballast weighing at least 50% of the plow weight.
  6. cobraman

cobraman Member

Thanks for all of the replys. I am looking for a used plow at a good price. There was a sno-way off an f150 on the board here a couple weeks ago on the holiday weekend but it was gone by the time I got back home. :-(
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

7.5' Western MID weight
    7.5' Fisher LD
    760LT blizzard
  8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

To find out your ballast weight, go to Western's web site. They have a plow match program, enter your information on your truck and what plow you would like to use, it will tell you how much ballast. With my truck mine is 910lbs. Alot more than I thought.