1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Groundwork, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Was talking to the local Sno-Way dealer yesterday and I'm not sure what to do. I was looking at an 8' 29t trip edge plow in stainless steel, because I'm kinda of hesitant on the whole blade tripping idea, but he was showing me the the 8.5' 32 series which I kinda liked because of the size. I can get either one in stainless, down pressure and wireless remote for about the same price, so I'm looking for opinions as to which one I should get.

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Down pressure is excellent. The plows a reliable. What vehicle and type of plowing are you thinkings of doing?

3. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Plow would be going on a 2000 GMC 2500, old body style with the higher GVWR. It would be replacing an 8' Fisher. I do a lot of plowing for a company that handles rental properties and I also plow some small commercial properties as well as some residential driveways. I think I'm leaning toward the 32 series with the 8.5' blade. I'll still be able to get into the smaller properties that I plow with that blade, but I think it'll help a lot on the larger properties. I'll probable make my decision in the next couple of days. Dealer said that he would pull out all of my fisher hardware for no cost an would let me keep the plow there while I try to sell it. Can't beat that for dealer support. The local fisher dealer wanted to charge me for removing the older fisher hardware and then charge me for the new installation.

4. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

We have owned fisher,curtis,kubota and snoway plows. We are sold on the snoway product, even the people at snoway corp. call you back, the support is great, as is the product. The hydraulics are fast, you can stack snow way high, easy to mount, the list goes on and on.

5. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

New plow on the way

Well I went to the dealer today and put my deposit down on the 8.5' 32 series stainless steel plow. I get it installed on the 22nd, and I can't wait. So as of now my 8' Fisher is for sale.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Get the wireless upgrade, you won't be disappointed:waving:

7. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Actually I did get the wireless upgrade. Now I won't have to be hunched over to operate the controls like I was with the fisher. It seems like my back would get sore after every storm. I'm really looking forward to getting it installed, and I can't wait to see what it looks like on my truck. I don't know why but it feels like it's going to be a long couple of weeks. At least it's only September and not the end of October.

8. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Picked up new plow

Well I just got back home with the new plow. As I said before, I went with the 32 series, 8.5' blade, stainless steel, down pressure, and wireless remote. I can't believe how big this thing is, bring on the SNOW. I know it's going to take getting used to how fast the hydraulics are. The mounting system seems really easy, I even figured it out in the dark. I'll try to post some pictures in the next couple of days, it was to dark when I got home and they didn't come out good at all. Any words of wisdom from all you sno-way users for a new sno-way user.

9. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

I am not a "professional" sno plower - but one thing I learned real quick was to not use the Down Pressure while going out of a driveway onto a street, or anywhere else the surface changes heights rapidly. The blade will dig in to asphalt pretty easily.... Had to cold patch my street the first time I used my plow.... A "pro" would probably know this....

10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Did it come with a steel cutting edge. Probably did. Run it for the season, and then when it's worn, look into a poly cutting edge. They really are nice.

11. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Just wondering how well poly edges work, never seen on in action. Do they really scrape that well?

12. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

digging into driveway when backing out?

I was reading about this in the thread. I wanted to buy one of these with down pressure for the residential drives but his worries me. You have to keep the down pressure on as you back into the street. I don't understand why the blade would dig into the surface just b/c you are rolling over a curve?
    Thanks Mike

13. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

you won't run itno this problem backdragging. Just pushing forward. and I'd think any plow would do it regardless of downpressure or not. You could try a poly edge too though.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Down pressure is limited. too much pressure relief valves open. You can also turn it off.