1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve in Pa., Nov 10, 2004.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

Is a 8'6" western v-plow too much for a 04 F 250? I want the v put will go to a straight blade if the v plow is too heavy for the truck.

2. POWERSTROKEFURY

POWERSTROKEFURY Junior Member

Check the specs

On an F-250 an 8 1/2' V-Plow might be a little too much. I don't know about Western, but I have a Fisher V-Plow on a '00 F-350, and it weighs substantially more than the straight blade. I would check with what the dealer says, and especially check if that blade would void your warantee. :confused:

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I have an 8' Boss straight blade on my '00 Ram 2500. The dealer told me that was the biggest plow my truck could handle without over-stressing it. He said the V was out of the question, it's designed for 1 ton trucks minimum.
    Just his opinion. :waving:

4. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

No it is not to much for the truck. My friends dad have a 8'6" Western V on his F-250 Diesel Ext cab pickup and it handles it fine. So far I have not heard him say he has any trouble with it after about 4 years of use.

5. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

That's interesting. But, I've learned around here that just about anything is possible. Do you know if he did any modifications to the truck like putting different springs or timbrens in? Just curious. I suppose also that the weight of the Western V may be different than the Boss V, as well as the GVAW for the front of a 2500 Ram vs. an F250. I don't know the numbers. I bet Mick does, if he sees the thread I bet he'll 'weigh in' on this. :D

6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I don't think he did any modifications to the truck and knowing him if he did they would be very simple and cheap.

7. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

checked with the dealer today and the v weighs in at 890lbs versus a 8' straight 700lbs. looked at the gvw for front axle is 5200lbs. any input would be appreciated. Do you guys think that 190 lbs will make that much of a difference or not?

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The minimum requirement for a Blizzard 810 :) is a 3/4 ton truck. It weighs 950lbs. and a 3/4 ton will handle it well. Why settle for a V when you could run a Blizzard 810? :rolleyes:

9. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

western dealer is only 6 miles from me. the nearest blizzard dealer is 30 miles away. just don't want to have to run 30 miles if something breaks down. I love the looks of blizzard plows! :cry: but i think i have to go with dealer support. :cry: :drinkup:

10. Bolts Indus.

:) 5 trips x 6 miles = 30 miles. That will be 30 miles further than if you owned a Blizzard :rolleyes:
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

11. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

You're a hot s--- Dave, nobody can say you don't try hard :drinkup:

I do believe you could sell a crate of sand and American Flags to Osama Bin Laden. :gunsfiring: (Bin Laden)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? :D

12. Bolts Indus.

All in good fun. :yow!: The only crate I.m shipping to Osama, the Sob, is measured 6 feet 10 inches x 3 feet and if he orders early I will throw in three extra crates of good Canadian burial dirt from my swamp out back. :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

13. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Dave is right though............ We went with the blizzard 810 for the year... :waving:

14. Bolts Indus.

I did sell him the sand and flags but he didn't pick them up yet. Said something about going camping in the mountains for awhile. I asked him for a shipping address and he said he would get back to me. That was a month ago. Can't figure him out. Strange. Just because it is hunting season :gunsfiring: here now shouldn't bother him. We are friendly people. :rolleyes:

15. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Right on Dave.

Just keep that 6' - 10" by 3' box ready for him, and that is very friendly.

If it was up to me, there wouldn't be enough left of him to put in a film cannister. :yow!:

Oh, and congrats......you made the sale!

16. Bolts Indus.

What sale? What sale? Where's the cheque?

That saying about the guy with the 3 legged pig.

A pig that good should not be eaten all in one serving,
    but slowly one piece at a time.

PS: Did you see that? My reply got posted at 9:11 my time. Weird?

17. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Steve ...you could go to the http://www.westernplows.com
    and check out their automatic plow selector guide. It will tell ya the max. size plow for your specific truck.

I hear ya about the Western dealer just up the street ! I live out in the sticks and have to keep a few plow spare stuff on hand. Its 30 plus miles one way to ANY plow dealer near me.

A Blizzard is a nice plow...Poss. my next one..I like those power wings !

But I got 10 hard NY winters outta my old Western and sold it to my bud and hes still running it. It was swapped to 3 different NEW GM trucks!
    This will be my 4 th winter on my 01 Ultra. Its being mounted on my new o4.

I WISH the trucks would be as troublefree and last as long as the plow! ............geo :eek:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  18. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

8.5 Western v weighs around 900 LBS, the F-250 will carry it just fine, thats what it is made to do. :nod:

19. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

Don't forget the truck mount cja1987, which for a F-250 weighs 75 lbs. for the Ultramount (I looked @ the box at the dealer doing an install when I was thinking of buying one) + the MVP 8'-6" (899 lbs.) = Total of 974 lbs. !! It is almost the same V-plow as the Fisher except the MVP has a cutting edge, the cylinder stops, and the pivot bar that the Fisher V doesn't. Even if your FAWR is ok according to Western's website, IMO, I would put in an extra leaf spring or install Timbrens. Western also would want you to use ballast for the MVP. It was a VERY impressive and STRONG looking plow to see!