1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which plow?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by osomany?s, Aug 29, 2012.

1. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

I am in charge of a rather large strip mall actualluy U shaped which has many odd shaped islands which i mark out with orange stakes(alot of which get stolen by the little dirt bags in the areah).i am tossing between the fisher 9.5ss extreme v which i havent found used as of yet,the 8.5 western mvp v plow(which i have found barely used at a nice discount off retail(or the 9.5 not yet found used),or the western wideout 8-10 which i also have located barely used at a nice discount.....i am aware of the maintenance differance between the steel blade vs the ss blade however my question to any of you that would kindly send your experience my way is this i am an "aggressive plower "i tend to go to fast to closel the time so........my question is which one bounces off curbs better?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss v plow.
  3. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

Um boss v plow wasn't even on my list of considerations but please tell me why t would choose a plow i can't shortchain incase of a breakdown?
  4. grandview

With a Boss no break downs so no short chaining it.
  5. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

i personaly like trip edge plows... i am a snowdogg dealer in my area and we sell alot of the snow V plows (v are more forgiving) and the xp810 (same as a wideout) alot of people in the area have been going with them because of dealer support (we are 24hrs during snow events) and also the priceing on them is great..

But no matter what you go with... make sure there is good dealer support! there all good plows

if i where you i would take them into consideration shoot me a email i can send you some info on them and mabe find you a closer dealer crlawndist@gmail.com
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

From the sounds of your work site I would consider a Wideout (Blizzard, Fisher, Western their all pretty much the same plow) or a snoway revolution series (revolution or 29R) the box wing plows are superior to the vees for gathering and controlling snow.

FYI there are ways to "short chain" a direct lift though honestly I'd hesitate to buy a plow I expected to fail. A direct lift's faster response might raise the plow fast enough for you to save a few curb impacts.

Don't curb repairs cut into your profits??
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You might want to give your clients curbs and your plow a little more respect.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

"which one bounces off curbs better? :laughing:
  9. grandview

That's why you go Boss v plow with the curb guards.Thumbs Up
  10. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

:jester:No matter what plow he buys he better ware some protection. :laughing:

11. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

That's a great response i don't know how realistic it is?if im not mistaken aren't boss plows the shortest v?
  12. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

i have both a wide out and a 9'6 v and if i had to go down to just 1 plow it would be the wide out. The wide out style plows allows you to angle while in scoop where the v does not. That it a big time saver.
  13. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

Have u ever hit any obstructions with the wing on wide out would u consider it durable?that wing is scaring me!
  14. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

My email is eh070797@email.com thanks in advance
  15. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

My dad has hit curbs an 2 winters ago i got stuck plowing a development with raised manholes and i did hit a few of them fast and the plow and wings are still fine. Its all in common sense an knowing your lots but thats with any plow. i do wish western would make a proplus version like the 8'6-11 but so far my wideout has been durable an taken everything i have thrown at it like a champ. When the time comes 2add another truck it will have another wide out for sure.
  16. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I love the Boss V, but my next plow will be the Western Wideout. It's faster. I have had my boss for four years and have never have had to fix anything. I think this season i might change the hydro lines and flush it just for kicks.
  17. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

The only reason I wanna go with a v vs the wideout is in a deep snow the v will I think cut a path to work from much easier??;deep snows dont come that often but when they do it would be nice to b able to cut through it
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  18. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

You are right,but you are in li right? Like me in nj deep snow is not a regular thing an when it does hit us most times we plow to keep up so as a only plow the wideout will give you more bang for your buck with small storms like we Commonly Get. Either way you can't go wrong tho I love both of my plows good luck this winter.
  19. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

I've worked with all of them. They are all good units. If you're interested in saving some money you can always get a SnowDogg VX or XP. Those plows are really strong and less money than the others. It all depends on your dealer support. No use in getting a less expensive unit if there is no one to repair it at 2am.
    pusher82 likes this.
  20. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have herd good things about snow dog... cheap to

Last i checked 8.2 Boss V was $4800.00 alot plow for the coin..

My good buddy dropped almost $8000.00 on his wideout.. He just bought a 2012 F350 Crew, powerstroke with all the options... Subs for Brickmen aswell, one man show.. Crazy, don't know why i work so hard..???? :salute: