1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow would you go with and why?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Sidewinderss, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Sidewinderss

Sidewinderss Junior Member

So I am looking at 2 different plows and I am going back and forth on which one to get. They are as follows: A Boss 8.2 Power VXT and a Snowdogg VXF85.

The boss is new and the snowdogg was a dealer demo used to plow a lot twice.

The price difference is $1000 (obviously the snowdogg is the cheaper one)

I will be using this to plow for mostly personal use my own driveway which is about 1/2 mile long with all the turn arounds I plow into it and is on an extreme grade hill. the other driveways i plow are average basic driveways.

So which one would you choose?

I dont know to much about snowdogg which is why I am asking this, I know boss but for a savings of $1000 I have to ask.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

both fords side by side 001.jpg
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Given you're two choices, the Boss is a much better plow in my opinion. There's a lot of guys in here that really like snow dogg but looking at the construction of each, the Boss is the better of the two.
  4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Western or fisher for me
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you get what you pay for.
  6. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

You say this is going to be for personal use, if that's it then I would go with the lesser price plow just for the fact that you're not making any money with it. If you plan on plowing more driveways than your own or start plowing parking lots and making money, I would go with the Boss. You also say you know Boss, then you already know the best plow out there. Simple and reliable.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  7. mud

mud Senior Member

I went with the snowdogg this spring. That being said the price difference in my local market was close to a 2k difference and I really didn't care for the Boss dealer all that much.

I haven't plowed with it yet, time will tell if its any good in that respect. For what its worth I gave $5049 installed for my VXF.
  8. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Yes sir. Snowdogg is cheap for a reason!
  9. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

I got a snowdogg ex75. It plows driveways and private lanes. I am sure the boss is a better unit. My new ultramount western is better than my snowdogg but the snowdogg is more than enough for what I need it for.
  10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Fisher Xtreme V 8.5. My 9.5 has been awesome. Fast, powerful, strong.
  11. Sidewinderss

Sidewinderss Junior Member

Thanks for all your help guys!

I made a couple more calls and ended up getting a Boss Power VXT 92
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You must not be looking that close, the Dogg is built much heavier. Hence why it weighs more.

Disagree, I got a lot more with my plow for less money - stainless, double acting cylinders, trip edge, adjustable trip springs, snow deflector all for nearly $2,000 less than a VXT or VX.

You have no idea or experience with them yet you seem to spout this in every thread about a snowdogg. Find me something cheap on them, and like I've said before to you - find me what justifies the cost on a Boss or Fisher/Western, etc. They have to be expensive 'for a reason'

OP - Enjoy your new plow, the Boss is a nice plow and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. We have 2 at my work and have held up well over the years.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Douglas Dynamics products are not in his list of choices
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

See above....
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A Volga is mulch heavier than a Corvette but I wouldn't call it a better vehicle.
  17. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Out of the 2, Snowdogg. Trip edge is what would really make up my mind. Just adding fuel to the fire here Thumbs Up
  18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I hear the boss is a rigid frame.....splash
  19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

...Ok...but we aren't talking about vehicles. We're talking about a piece of equipment that is pushing heavy amounts of snow and contacting objects.

I'd rather a steel shovel over a plastic one if I were digging a hole. I'd rather an overbuilt, heavier plow while pushing snow.
  20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I wasn't talking about vehicles, I was just using it as an analogy.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and obviously think your snowdawg is the shizzel.

I just prefer engineering over a sledgehammer, dislike the abuse that mass for mass's sake puts on a vehicle and want a direct lift unit (for all the obvious advantages.)

I'd want steel over plastic for digging a hole put plastic if I'm clearing snow from Pavers, Wooden decks or walkways or seaedl concrete or asphalt. I want a 36 inch bar if I'm dropping a tree but a 14" bar if I'm trimming. It's all about the proper tool for the job.