1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow will work

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Broncslefty7, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

picked up a 2003 ram 1500 with a hemi this year and figured we would put a plow on it because we are doing a bit more residential this year. just curious hwich boss plow would work well on it. the boss websites only list the 7' and 7'6" poly straight blades. any suggestions?

Thanks

2. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

The 7'-6 poly will do you just fine. Just keep a good cutting edge on it for the back dragging on it, and you are set ofr the plow. Seeing the size of your fleet, no need to tell you about ballast :)

3. Broncslefty7

yeah i was thinking around 4-500 pounds.

4. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

Generally equal to plow weight or real close. Go to BOSS's site and right on the plow selector page, where the plow description is...there should be an area that suggests how much ballast to place in the bed of the truck to equalize the load :)

5. Broncslefty7

yeah plus frame weight is 481 lbs. so somewhere around there should be fine.

6. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

You can easily run the Standard Duty Poly on the truck. Don't waste the money for the sport duty. Spend the litttle extra and do the Standard Duty. That is what I run on 02 F150, and have no issues. Weighs a little more, but much more worth it in the end.

7. Broncslefty7

did you do any spring upgrades or timbrens in the front?

8. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

The 02 Ford F150 doesn't have springs in the front, it has shocks still, so upgraded those and put a leveled it out. I also upgraded all the suspension parts in the front when needed. It only drops an 1" 1/2 or so when the plow is raised with no ballast in the back with the way I have it set up. I do run plenty of ballast though in the winter for obvious reasons (suspension relief, and traction). I also take the plow off when I am done. I don't just drive around with it on.