1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow? Which Truck? Help!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by smartin650, Nov 26, 2013.

1. smartin650

smartin650 Junior Member

Hey Guys, I am looking at Buying a Plow for my 1998 Gmc 1500 Reg cab long bed, I was looking at a Boss 7'6" Standard Poly or possibly a 8' Boss straight blade, (unless its too big) I have a few smaller commercial accounts and several residential accounts. My question is, would mounting this plow my self be very hard? And would there be any reason to put it on my 2008 Duramax crew instead of my 1998 1500 Reg Cab?

My thoughts are my Duramax crew wont turn as sharp and I normally use it to pull my 20ft trailer with my John Deere 2520 (rear 6' Blade and loader etc) also looking hard at the Boss TGS-600 Spreader for the back of the plow truck.

Thanks

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Your D-Max trans and frontend would hold up to the rigors of plowing more so than your 1500. If it was me I’d put a 8.5ft super duty (possibly with wings) on the D-Max and use the 1500 as a salt truck with the TGS.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Mounting the plow yourself, not hard if your mechanically inclined.
    Where to list the reasons to put it on your dmax instead of the 1500

4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The key words "commercial accounts" say to put the plow on the bigger truck.
    The other key words "residential accounts" say to put the plow on the smaller truck that turns better.

Tough call. Maybe you want to get one 8' plow and rig up both trucks to attach to it.... Although that might mean swapping the plow to the other truck mid storm, which will be a royal pain in the ass.

Installation is not bad, as mentioned, if you're mechanically inclined. If you're mechanically inept, which I judge to be unlikely just by the fact that you asked, then it would probably be best to take it to a destroyership.

5. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

If you are looking to buy an easy to mount plow, you need to check out Hiniker plows. The Hiniker Quick Hitch is the fastest mounting system available.

6. smartin650

smartin650 Junior Member

Thank you all for your expert input towards my questions. :). Now let's just hope for a great winter

7. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes, it would be nice to get some pushes in.

8. smartin650

smartin650 Junior Member

We have about 2.5" so far and still snowing, (in Iowa City) The Boss 7.5 poly with wings works like a dream, also pretty fond of the Buyers TGS-3 sander/salter. $now! Yay! Also the phone has been ringing pretty steady.