1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow to get

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stanger86, Dec 17, 2009.

1. stanger86

stanger86 Member

Ok, so I have been searching and reading for weeks on this subject. I have 5K to spend. My local "good" dealers supply and service Fisher, Western, Boss, and Blizzard. So service is really not a problem at all. I will be doing mostly Residentials driveways with a few commercial lots. So there will be a lot of backdragging. Ive looked at way to many plows now and my head is spinning! The plow will be mounted to a 06' F350 cc long bed. I am more than comfortable with installing it myself, which enables me to buy online for a cheaper deal than local. So I guess I need help with deciding if a direct hydraulic lift is that much better than a chain assisted lift, and if a Vee blade will do me better over a straight blade, especially for backdragging. (If i go straight blade I will probably add a backdrag edge). So Im pretty much open to all plows out there..maybe even this 9'6" snowdogg Vee i found for 3989.00?? Please Help!!!!!

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would be looking at a Boss Power V-XT for that truck. 9'2". The vee will give you the most versatility for your different plowing situations.

3. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Too bad you dont have a SnoWay dealer near. I think their V Blade with down pressure would be the ultimate blade. If your going to do a lot of back dragging your going to need a back drag edge of some type for any Fisher or Western, just not enough weight on the blade in my opinion. My buddy has a Blizzard (3yrs old now) and it back drags ten times better than my Fisher does. Seeings how Blizzard has seemed to cheapen the new plows and Fisher, Western and Blizzard are all owned by the same company.....I would be looking hard at BOSS. They all have their positives and negatives I guess.

5. stanger86

stanger86 Member

Ya I have been looking more and more at boss. I can get a 9'2'' Power V for 4450.00 uninstalled, but then I have to add the Smartlock Hydraulics for 300.00 and then I can rig up a back drag blade for close to 150.00 so that puts me at 4900.00 does this sound like the way to go?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Brian that a Sno-Way with Down Pressure would be the ticket, but if you don't have dealer support it can be a gamble. That sounds like a great price on the Boss. Is that the V-XT?

7. stanger86

stanger86 Member

No its just the regular Power V, the VXT 9'2" is 4989.00. Do you know if there is anyone that sells Snoway online?

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Go to the advertisement at the top of these pages and look for the closest dealer. Thats probably going to be my next plow.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

basher sells them, I'm not sure about shipping, etc. If you look through the Sno-Way forum you will see him. His number is on there.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Buying online may be cheaper but you may not get the quickest service as buying from a dealer would be, They will do warranty work or sell you parts but you may not be the first one they will do work for.

11. stanger86

stanger86 Member

ok so I have narrowed it down to the Snowdogg 9'6" VX (4000.00), the Boss Power V with smartlocks (5000.00, w/o smartlocks - 4500.00), and the Western MVP 9'6'' (4800.00). The price of the Snowdogg has caught my eye but the hookup and cheap jack stand has got me looking else where. I would love to get the Boss but dont really want to add the extra for smartlocks. We average about 20'' of snowfall a year, which usually mean about 4-6" maximum depths on a storm. Will the Boss still fold in when back draggin at those depths on a 40' driveway?

12. ramdieselsmoke

ramdieselsmoke Member

dont get fisher man i have one its only 2 years old mm2 and its way slower then the western my dad has, i like you had the choice and i guess i thought the fisher looked cool because its yellow but wrong choice, takes allittle longer for the job to get done but i get it..payup

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

14. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Personally I would go with the boss before I went with the snowdogg.

15. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

If you have never plowed before, a V blade can be very tricky to control. And become frustrating quick if you have never used the v plow controls. With your truck I would recomend a 8 or an 8.6 foot blade. The snow way is nice like the guy said in an earlier post about the down pressure. That can be very handy when doing alot of backdragging, but not neccessary.
    If you go with a western you can always add the backdrag blade option which I have and works nice. If your on a 5k budget, don't forget about possible suspension upgrades and add tax to all those numbers you came up with. I would also look into the cost to have it installed professionally. It's normally around $125-$150(where I go) which is well worth it unless you have the right tools and know wiring and hydrolics......
    Just some things to think about. Good luck with everything!!

Oh yeah.. If the hydrolics go on a chain lift system like the western, you can drive into a snowbank to lift the blade and shorten the chain length so can get back for repairs. With a total hydrolic system, if you blow a hose, your screwed with the blade on the ground.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This is an old wives tale. A direct lift plow can be "short chained" just as easily. Just need to keep a ratchet strap behind the seat. Piece of cake.

17. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Boss V-XT is the best plow I've ever used. I have 4 of them now and couldn't be happier. I've used western, boss, fisher, and it beats all of them. Never used a snow-way so can't help with that one. Boss is very easy to get parts for and plenty of dealers in the midwest. I paid low 5k for mine with smartlocks so your prices look pretty good. Just tell your dealers what you can get them for online and most should make it close for you. Good luck!

18. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I was simply stating that it can tricky to learn the controls on a v plow if you have never plowed before with any plow. Not that it can't be learned at all.
    I paid 150$ for my install and it was a quality install. Of course it will vary depending where you live. Don't jump to conclusions and think that it was not a good install because I paid $100 less than you.
    I was mentioning the wiring and hydro lines can be a pain if you don't know how to hook em up or route wires. You gotta get fluid in the cylinder head and get pressure, bleed the lines etc.. Then mount the wiring harness. That's why paying for the install is worth it.

19. stanger86

stanger86 Member

Ive got a big mechanical and electrical background so install is nothing for me. Ive narrowed it down to the Boss VXT, just have to decide which size to get.

20. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I run 9'2'' on my F350 and it is a tank! I run 8'2" on my 3/4 tons. Good choice! I have installed 2 of my plows and its relatively easy. Plug and play basically. I did have to make a slight structural modification on my 2004 F350 that stumped me for a bit, but the dealer said it was what they do too. This isn't the case on all years though.