1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow to get?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BigRed8131, Jul 22, 2011.

1. BigRed8131

BigRed8131 Junior Member

Just bought a 2011 Ford F250 Lariat Crew Cab short bed. It has the 6.7 L Diesel with snow plow prep package. I am looking at starting to snow plow some friends and relatives, maybe some neighbors driveways. No big accounts or parking lots.

Which plow size, setup and manufacture would you recommend?

Should I buy new or find used equipment to start with?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Brand - any major manufacturer will do (Fisher,Western,Boss,Meyer,Snoway,Blizzard,etc etc) Whatever you have for local dealers may help narrow this choice down.

Size - Minimum of 8ft width to cover your tracks while angled in that size truck.

Personally, I would buy new in your case.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

If you have the dealer support I would suggest a Snoway 8 foot 29HD. With your diesel you have little extra front axle capacity and the Snoway's lower weight helps maintain the proper front axle loading. Remember everybody thinks their plow is the best, the Fisher guy s will say fisher, the western guys will say western the boss, curtis and snoway guys....well you get the picture. Talk to your local dealers, find the one that stocks parts, has late night or all night snow storm service, that takes a moment to look at your truck and find out about your business so they can match it to a plow rather then just counter selling you what they have in stock.

Since you are looking at a basic straight blade any manufacturer's 8 foot blade will work for you, dealer support is the first thing to be concerned with.

Research the site a little, check out the different plows out there looking for the one that best suits your needs. Lots of driveways, think about a Hiniker C plow if your truck has the front axle to handle it or the Snoway with down pressure both do an excellent job around gargage doors and other back drag situations.

Use he search feature on the page menu for specific questions. you will be surprised how many time the basis questions have been answered.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

for a couple of driveway get a jeep with a plow. that truck is tooooooooo big for driveways. Like using a 18 oz hammer for finishing work. can it be done.... yes do lots of people do that, yes.
  5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

X2....Good Advice...Listen to this Man...He seems to know what he is Talking about...:nod:....Thumbs Up