1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow to Get? Straight or Vee?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jettix2, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

The question has more depth than it sounds.

I own a 2005-2006-ish Western UltraMount 8' straight steel Pro Plow. Bought it used last year, sold the truck, and need to have it re-mounted to my new truck. Cost of re-mounting to my new truck is $1100.00 because I need new mount, wiring, etc. Plow works great, is just starting to show a bit of rust on the welds on the back side of the plow.....was lightly used. Has old style lights.

I can trade the plow in on a one year old (used lightly for a half-season) Western 8'-6" V-Plow.......new style headlights, like-new condition. On the truck, mounted and ready to go, for $2250 once I trade in my old plow. (Truck is an 08 F250 SD Crew Cab 6.4L Diesel w/o Plow Prep, but does have 10,000lb GVWR package)

So, we're talking about $1100 difference between a 5 year old straight blade and a 1 year old V-Plow.

Money is scarce.........I don't plow commercially, I just plow my own driveway. I am looking for feedback........if I'm WAY better economically to get the newer plow, I will try to. Otherwise, I'll stick with what I have.

Thanks, Ben
  2. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

If you're only doing your driveway, and the straight blade works for you, I don't think I'd bother. $1100 is $1100, no matter how you say it. If you plan on going commercial anytime soon, that may be a different story. A Vee plow or XLS/Wideout/Blizzard scoop-type plow will save time in a parking lot, for sure. Plowing roads, not so much.

If you look around, and catch the timing right, you could probably find used mounts for your new truck. Some of the wiring and/or Isolation module will swap over. The main power cable/solenoid is a definite. Probably need new headlamp harness(es), depending on what kind of truck the old stuff was on, but some of the other wiring should swap. Any used or swapped parts could make the price difference even greater. Selling the old mounts would recoup some cash, too.

What kind of truck did you have it on before? I suppose none of that helps if you didn't take the plow stuff off the old truck.
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Stay with the straight, the V will be more than you need for jsut your drive.

Sent you a PM with some info, let me know if you need anything else.
  4. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

jettix not to steal your thread but im in the same boat as you i have a 8ft straight unimount and ive been looking at the v plows but whats the pros and cons i do driveways and lots
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmm... Well a V-plow is very handy for me. But that's because we do a lot of driveways of different sizes. Probably the handiest plow for small parking lots and big driveways. You can break through just about anything in the V position. If it were me, I would take that deal. But, in your shoes I probably woudn't go for it.
  6. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

Would you guys recommend getting the plow upgrades for a F250 diesel truck(plow package) or whatever. this year I'm going to use my personal truck 2005 F-250 diesel crew cab with a brand new Western 8.5 V-Blade.(I've been in the military and over in Iraq way too long but need some honest opinions. I have quite a few residential properties and should have a few commercial contracts soon but I just want everyones opnion and what they have done and if I really need to do anything at all. Thanks for the info in advance

7. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Firedawg- Make sure you have a minimum 5600 lb fgawr axle rating if your playing by the rules:) Goodluck PT.

Welcome back from Iraq!!!!
  8. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

Thank you very much it's great to be home! I do have 5600 on the front and 6100 on the rear so I should be good then
  9. 2TallDB

2TallDB Junior Member

I own a v-plow and straight blades

I own 3 straight blades and one v-plow (all western). The v-plow is ok but is just so much more heavy than the straight blades. The straight blades are so much cheaper and anyone who knows plows can work on them. V-plows are really only good for parking lots and you had better have a big truck or be ready to have to beef up yours if you buy a v-plow.
  10. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

I have 5600 FAWR also, and went with the 8.5 ft Western V. Price was too good to pass up!
  11. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

same here I got a great deal on an 8.5 western v that was just too great to turn down.