1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Plow to get if I want it to be less noticable when not on?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jm91rs, Nov 13, 2012.

1. jm91rs

jm91rs Junior Member

It's tough to explain in the title what I'm really looking for, so I'll try my best to explain.

My boss is giving me his truck and getting a new one. It will stay in the company name but for all other purposes it is my truck and this is my raise this year. The truck is a 2010 GMC All Terrain 1500 Z71. The truck is loaded and everything about it is nice. The only catch to me getting the truck is that he is going to put a plow on it and I will have to come to work early to plow the lot here. The lot is maybe 250 x 75 feet, not huge but not tiny. We are not in the plow business, we just need the lot cleared to keep our delivery trucks moving in and out of the lot. Here in Cincinnati we rarely get huge amounts of snow, and from what we've read we should be fine with a 1500 since we're only plowing 5-10 times a year. It would obviously be cheaper to pay someone to do this lot, but we like to own our own equipment around here so that's not an option.

This truck is very nice, obviously not something someone ever intended to plow with, and neither of us really want to change the looks of the truck a bunch. So here is my question...what plow do you guys recommend if I don't want there to be a bunch of ugly brackets on the front of my truck in the spring, summer, and fall?

I realize there is probably nothing that will be invisible when it's not on the truck, but I want the least noticeable. If I have to do a little extra work in the off season to unbolt some things I will. How much cutting on the front of my truck do the installers need to do? If you guys have some suggestions and could post pics it would be very helpful.

truck.JPG

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Western Ultramount comes to mind first. I don't know of a mount that won't require cutting the front air dam.

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

X's 2 on the ultramount. Very minimal cutting and very little of the bracket seen in the off season.

4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

5. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

I mentioned this to someone a few weeks ago when he was wondering about putting a plow on a Denali pickup and what it would look like.

For me, the easiest/best way would be to buy another lower valance piece and run that one during the off season. When it comes time to plow for the year, put the cut/trimmed valance on and slap the plow on. The lower valances only run a few hundred dollars.

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Well said. You could possibly find one from a junkyard on car-part.com for under a hundred bucks, even.

This probably isn't really applicable to your needs but the Snowbear I recently installed on my 2002 GMC 1500 meets your specifications. No trimming necessary. The visible portion of bracket, which is not obtrusive, would bolt on/off in 5 minutes. The hidden portion, if you wanted to remove it, might be another 10 minutes...it's only one bolt but you can't get that one out without removing the bumper (which only takes a few minutes). Actually, replacing that bolt with threaded rod with two nuts might make it possible to avoid taking off the bumper. Anyway it might be too small/light-duty for your purposes...it'd do the job and be easy to handle but you might want something better, with power angling.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So this truck will be for personal use too?